Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: silver tips

silver tips

hi everybody have any of you ladds out there used winchester silver tips i have chance to buy some very cheap they are 150 grain 308 they are the old type there in there original boxs of 20 and look to be in good nick

Used the 95g in .243 which were very consistent in my old rifle if thats any help. I would try a box first to see how your rifle likes or dis likes them before buying too many just because their cheap. If you buy and find your rifle doesn't like them then they will be expensive. ATB Gaz

cheers mate ill get 20 and try em shaun

i also used 95g in my 243 with clover leaf groupings at 100yds
    meat damage wasn't bad on roe and muntjac
    stopped using them because of the cost of factory ammo
    am now reloading

Only used them a long time ago as loaded winchester rounds out of a Tikka M65, they were total rubbish. Wouldn't even bother to try them again.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by shaun868s View Post
    hi everybody have any of you ladds out there used winchester silver tips i have chance to buy some very cheap they are 150 grain 308 they are the old type there in there original boxs of 20 and look to be in good nick
    if there the ones Iam thinking of there lublox coated,make sure you clean your barrel before using them also it may take a few shots for them to group as the coating will coat your barrel

Shoot well in my rifle but a different caliber and weight

Shot very well in my Sauer 202 .308 if they were still available I would not use anything else, far superior for deer than the Ballistic silver tips in my opinion.
    Last edited by Suffolk stalker; 26-02-2013 at 23:44. Reason: Spelling

The old silvertips had an aluminium cone over the lead at the front of the projectile, these were pretty good & would be fine on your largest game over there. The newer ones are plastic tipped & they're just a balistic tip.

Cheers Sharkey

If you get a chance of a good deal I would buy them, should work fine. I had a couple of boxes when I got my first deer rifle and they were as accurate as I could be at the time!