silver tips

shaun868s

hi everybody have any of you ladds out there used winchester silver tips i have chance to buy some very cheap they are 150 grain 308 they are the old type there in there original boxs of 20 and look to be in good nick

Used the 95g in .243 which were very consistent in my old rifle if thats any help. I would try a box first to see how your rifle likes or dis likes them before buying too many just because their cheap. If you buy and find your rifle doesn't like them then they will be expensive. ATB Gaz

i also used 95g in my 243 with clover leaf groupings at 100yds
meat damage wasn't bad on roe and muntjac
stopped using them because of the cost of factory ammo
am now reloading

Only used them a long time ago as loaded winchester rounds out of a Tikka M65, they were total rubbish. Wouldn't even bother to try them again.

hi everybody have any of you ladds out there used winchester silver tips i have chance to buy some very cheap they are 150 grain 308 they are the old type there in there original boxs of 20 and look to be in good nick

if there the ones Iam thinking of there lublox coated,make sure you clean your barrel before using them also it may take a few shots for them to group as the coating will coat your barrel

Shot very well in my Sauer 202 .308 if they were still available I would not use anything else, far superior for deer than the Ballistic silver tips in my opinion.

Last edited:
The old silvertips had an aluminium cone over the lead at the front of the projectile, these were pretty good & would be fine on your largest game over there. The newer ones are plastic tipped & they're just a balistic tip.

Cheers Sharkey

If you get a chance of a good deal I would buy them, should work fine. I had a couple of boxes when I got my first deer rifle and they were as accurate as I could be at the time!

I shot my first deer with a Winchester 130 grain silvertip in a 270 Winchester in 1989 on the hill in Scotland. It didn't need a second. But they are destructive! And FWIW very accurate.

Used to use them years ago in a .243 but found them a little frangible on deer, fine on fox's. They were as accurate as any of the others but found Nosler BT better all-round and less likely to blow up. Later used the 150gr Nosler BT in my .308 which worked very well.

I think there is some confusion here between two different sorts of bullets!
Winchester did a copper jacket 'silvertip' bullet with a hard alloy tip which was a very penetrating bullet. They are now discontinued, and i suspect that is what you have been offered.
They also do a more modern 'ballistic silver tip' which is entirely different and has a black Lubalox coating. They are much more frangible as stated above.
MS;)

I think there is some confusion here between two different sorts of bullets!
Winchester did a copper jacket 'silvertip' bullet with a hard alloy tip which was a very penetrating bullet. They are now discontinued, and i suspect that is what you have been offered.
They also do a more modern 'ballistic silver tip' which is entirely different and has a black Lubalox coating. They are much more frangible as stated above.
MS;)

I agree.
Maybe there is some benefit to getting old & bald (not fat though,lol). The original silver tips are a pretty good bullet,& not the same as the "balistic silver tips".
I'd buy & use them myself.

Cheers Sharkey

hi there tried these silver tips they are the old type with the ally tip first group of 3 just over 1 inch second group 3 quarters of an inch iput them through my trusty old bsa heavy barrel cf2 any i bought the lot 200 50 quid i would put a smiley face on this thread but i dont know how to thank you every body for your help shaun

Back