Thread: Texas elk cow

Texas elk cow

I retired in June and to fulfill my bucket list, booked a cow elk hunt with Heart A Ranch in Sonora, my friend booked a W/T buck hunt for his son. It is 4200 acres of rough Texas Hill Country with only an exterior game fence. They have whitetails, elk and a variety of other exotics. They have a bunch of good black buck and fallow. He has 30-40 elk with some 300+ bulls. We started hunting Wed. Dec. 26th afternoon. It was cold, blustery and with a full moon, not the best of hunting conditions. We dropped my friend and his son off in a nice raised blind (doe box) and drove around scouting for the elk. After being jarred around for 2&1/2 hours we got several glimpses of elk but no shots or stalks. Right before dark Jason’s father called to say Ryan had shot a buck. We were close so we went to see it and help. As we approached we saw several elk in the area of the stand. We didn’t get a shot.
    The next morning after a great breakfast we got off to a little late start. We bounced around again for several hours with no luck, so we decided to return to the stand where we saw them the night before and hunt it. As we approached we saw elk that were feeding, but moved away as we approached. We sneeked into the blind and waited. The elk were in the cedars about 200yds away, but very skittish. After a while they began to ease out into the open. I focused on what I thought was the largest one and waited for what seemed like a long time, but was probably only 15min or so. Let me say that the elk were not ‘crazy wild’, and due to the drought, were accustomed to the supplemental feed that was put around certain stands. At this time it appeared they were unsure enough and were about to leave. I finally got a decent quartering away shot and took it. The cow turned and trotted off. There was no apparent reaction to the shot and no chance at another shot due to the trees. I told my buddy ‘I can’t believe I missed,’ he was a little worried too. About that time she got the wobbles and fell over. I was elated. The shot was under 300yds, probably closer to 100yds hehe. The 30-06, 165gn Nosler Partition @2825fps broke two ribs entering, sliced the liver, lung one rib and the fleshy part of the off shoulder exiting. Elgin, Jason’s father, a man with 60yrs of taxidermy and hunting experiences said that it weighed close to 500lbs. I have no idea.
    Jason, wife Nicole and Elgin offer a great experience at an affordable price. One feels as if one is hunting with good friends or family not treated as clients. Capt david

I have pictures, but no idea how to post.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k569/hadllig/PennRyanScott_zps15c96c47.jpg

Drove around scouting for the elk. After being jarred around for 2&1/2 hours we got several glimpses of elk but no shots or stalks.
    Each to his own, i prefer not to hunt fenced in deer
    Glad you had a good time
    Regards
    TH
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunting View Post
    Drove around scouting for the elk. After being jarred around for 2&1/2 hours we got several glimpses of elk but no shots or stalks.
    Each to his own, i prefer not to hunt fenced in deer
    Glad you had a good time
    Regards
    TH
    Have you ever hunted in a 4200 acre reserve where the animals "know the game"?

Cheers Sharkey

Not everyone has access to free range elk, blackbuck,etc.

A someone who has guided hunters in a behind wire environment (2500 acres +), I can assure you fish in a barrell it aint!

I had come off a season at the stags in Scotland and went into a seaon in NZ, I would just about 100% guarantee a stag from the hill in Scotland, wouldn't offer the same odds hunting in a gnarly manuka scrub enclosure.

I would even go so far as to suggest that hunting on foot in some of the large game enclosures is more sporting than sitting out in baited high seats in the "wild"...........

Regards

BP

Well done Captdavid, you used the same bullet/gun combo i just couldn't get to work in my 30-06 X Bolt, i settled on 165 grain sierra gameking.
    Bull elk next time?
    Cheers
    Richard

No, actually for the price of a decent bull, I can stalk for a week or so in Britain. Which are my plans at this time. capt david

Richard,

I got lucky and bought a pretty rough '51 FN commercial Mauser in 30-06. I accually bought it as a doner action to make a 7x57. I should never have shot it. It's not what I would call a tack driver, but shoots almost everything I've shot in it around 1.5' or better. That load has averaged 1.24' with 14, three shot groups. capt david