.308 Ammo for South Africa

greenhillstairs

Hi; I'm fortunate to be heading again to SA in April, this time taking my own Rifle and Ammo. To be honest, i dont use my .308 Barrel on my Sauer so often over here in the Uk, my preference for the .243, really only procured it for Boar in europe. However when i do utlise the .308, I normally use 150grn Norma Factory made Soft point. Mainly a management hunt this time around, but with a few trophys, hopefully a quality Kudu bull being one of them. Getting a little conflicting info, princpally that this bullet weight maybe a little on the "lightside". I would be greatful for any advice.

I've used standard factory loads of 150grn over here on the Hill for Reds, and the occasionall Sika without any issue at all. To re-iterate my last experiance in Africa was with the estate .270, and to my discredit not even sure what bullet weight that was utlished. Had plenty faith in my PH, checked the zero on the range and never really looked back.

Thanks in advance:)

I would have thought 150gn Norma in 308 will work fine. Key is putting bullied in the right place. Plenty of kudu and othe game have been shot with 303, 6.5 mannlicher, 7x57 and 7.62 NATO solids. The 168 gn bullet will have better sectional density and more penetration which might be useful for big antelope such as kudu. Ask what the locals use.

I would have thought a 165 or 180 grain premium bullet would be better. Something like the 180 grain partition or a bonded core bullet like the a frame may be a good choice. You could also consider a lighter mono metal like the TSX in 150 or 165 grains
Might be worth checking out the knowledge base at terminal ballistic studies as Nathan has a lot of bullet data

Thanks very much guys, kinda echoed what i was thinking. Agreed the 150grn well placed would likely do the job, however the pod wont even be on in Africa let alone shoot of it, from my last experiance the bush can get pretty thick and on occasion the shot needed a little more urgency then the norm. A sligthly heavier premium bullet may just help reduce the margin of error and provide just a little more of a safety net in the event the shot is not bang on the money. Will make some enquirys. Cheers

Used my 270 with Barnes TTSX 130 gns, also took 160 Partitions, the P.H. you'll be hunting with also uses Barnes as well so go with them, you can expect the next weight up performance plus, in other words 165gn for the 150gns weight. deerwarden

You'd be surprised what your 150's will do I've been twice with my 7mm Mauser using a 140 grn bullet tip and it worked fine on a Kudu Blue and Black Wilderbeest and even two Eland
and as for the rest of the plains game there no bigger than a Red my PH reckoned my rifle was ok for for anything apart from the really big stuff

Hi; I'm fortunate to be heading again to SA in April, this time taking my own Rifle and Ammo. To be honest, i dont use my .308 Barrel on my Sauer so often over here in the Uk, my preference for the .243, really only procured it for Boar in europe. However when i do utlise the .308, I normally use 150grn Norma Factory made Soft point. Mainly a management hunt this time around, but with a few trophys, hopefully a quality Kudu bull being one of them. Getting a little conflicting info, princpally that this bullet weight maybe a little on the "lightside". I would be greatful for any advice.

I've used standard factory loads of 150grn over here on the Hill for Reds, and the occasionall Sika without any issue at all. To re-iterate my last experiance in Africa was with the estate .270, and to my discredit not even sure what bullet weight that was utlished. Had plenty faith in my PH, checked the zero on the range and never really looked back.

Thanks in advance:)

You should be fine with the 150 grain bullet Norma heads are tough enough for the job, even for your Kudu bull. If you want to go heavier a premium 180 grain bullet such as the Norma Oryx, Nosler partition or Swift A frame will be plenty. As mentioned earlier it's all about bullet placement and as long as you are comfortable and accurate with a rifle and load you should be fine, just relax and enjoy your hunt!!!

All the best

Snag

I am also off to Africa April ,I have been told that my load I use here in my 30-06 will do the job ,and that is 51.5 gr N 140,with a Hornady 150gr inerbond,they retain approx 90% wt. Very accurate.Hornady also do a 165 interbond if you feel bigger is better.

You'll be fine. ;)

You're going on a management hunt, ie shooting for meat, so there will be no raking shots through the hip to the vitals, no breaking of heavy bone, etc.

In fact they will be very pleased if you neck everything off the back of a bakkie! :D

With that in mind no animal you will be hunting will be proof against a 150 grain Norma bullet through the ribs broadside, let alone the neck.

If that's what you normally shoot and it does the job on deer here you will be fine.

If you want to push the boat out get a box or two of 180 grain nosler partition load in the norma range but in my experience bullet choice in the 308/.306 doesn't really begin to be important ( assuming you use good bullets of the lighter weights) until you start shooting through the bones of animals weighing more than about 300-30 kgs.

Thanks very much for all the advice. 308 shoot well in MySauer 202. I’ve made a few enquiry’s and buying the “Buggers” local is half the job of late, there appears few stockists in the Lancashire/Cheshire area.

I’ve a few days Buck stalking in Dumfriesshire early April before jetting off to SA, so if anyone knows any stockists in that M6 North/A74 corridor up to Moffat, feel free to share.

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:
Back