Thread: just shot

just shot

how long do you all hang you venison for,if you keep it in a chiller how long can you keep it before jointing up ,do you skin before hanging or not.
    many thanks

I personally hang roe in the skin at 4 degrees for up to 7 days before I butcher them.

Mark.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    tolley

I hang mine 'coats on'.

So far as how long to hang it for, it depends on what else I've got on

I've butchered deer the day after shooting them and also left them for 5-7 days in the chiller. I can honestly say that I've never been able to tell the difference when I've eaten it as to how long venison has been hung for.

willie_gunn

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn
    tolley

I hang mine 'coats on'.

So far as how long to hang it for, it depends on what else I've got on

I've butchered deer the day after shooting them and also left them for 5-7 days in the chiller. I can honestly say that I've never been able to tell the difference when I've eaten it as to how long venison has been hung for.

willie_gunn
    I am the same. I have butchered the next day and have also hung for 10 days. The taste was the same. The only difference was the butchering. The beast that hung for 10 days was far easier to work with.

Ads

I do it the old way, skin off. the outer skin darkens a fair bit , that puts folk off, I tend to only keep winter venison, roe - 1 week, reds - 2-3wks. Sika 1-2 wks. I personally don't like hanging skinners in "chill" as they get damp, it's better to some air about them, old style larders are far better for hanging deer in the winter.

i dont have any choice as i dont have a chiller so really i have to butcher my deer the same day i know that you can hang the up outside weather permiting but as i live in a mid-terrace house i dont think the neighbours would appreciate it much and like many others i cant taste any differnce but do notice the texture differnce in the meat when cutting if it has been hung in a chiller

shot

i too tend to do has much in the field as i can just the fact i have no garage ,im looking to get a chiller at the mo.
    it does seem to be a lot easier to butcher the next day or so,as for taste i will have to wait and see.

many thanks for the replys, good to get different fews .

I hang mine in a larder fridge with a computer fan dropped inside to give air circulation. This definately enhances the carcase and gives better results when butchering, mincing etc.

I usually hang roe for 7 to 14 days and the same for red.