Thread: Red deer size?

Red deer size?

All the red hinds that I've killed weighed around 250lbs or more by an accurate scale. I'm not sure, but they might have some elk in them. The place I hunt them calls them park elk. Most people now are trying to get rid of the crosses. They also have a different type that they call Eastern European Reds that are about the same size, but the bulls all have definite crowns and are darkercapt david

Not entirely sure what you're asking here?

In the UK most quoted weights are "hook" weights - the entire animal in skin ex the head, lower legs, completely eviscerated and with the chest cavity and pelvis split. I have seen a small number of hill hinds over 100lbs - single figures of percent I would say - and the largest hill stag I have personally taken was 263lb on the hook, but that was a big stag. I don't know what the equivalent "live" weights would be - I have seen twice the hook weight quoted, but since most folk don't generally tote a scale round I don't know how you come to this. Maybe some deer farmers/park keepers can fill us in?

In regard to "park" animals these are obviously much bigger - maybe others can say?

Red deer are now found on every continent and must be one of the most adaptable and plastic of species - the antler structure varies hugely even in relatively settled populations. Eastern European deer (Carpathian) have indeed a much more pronounced crown to the tops - but so do Scottish reds, although of a different format - I'm sure someone has a picture. I have two on the wall, taken less than half a mile apart - one of which is a classic "Monarch of the Glen" royal and the other a 15 point Carpathian clone - though with little of the length or weight of its East European forebears. Some research was done recently (I think it was in "Deer") which concluded that the only "pure" Scottish red deer were on the islands - away from the influence of hybrids.

A big lowland hind from Suffolk or Norfolk could make 100kg or more on the hook that's 220lb so if the feeding and the living is as good with you capt David it isn't un feasible that your red hinds could make this weight. Incidentally depending on the level of supplementary feeding park deer aren't always as heavy as their wild counterparts. I have found that with fallow anyway.

I have always sort of worked on a guess that live weight is 30% more than larder weight. I've never tested it I was told it as a student and I have no reason to disbelieve it.

Eastern European red deer C e pannonensis ,refered to as Yugo's or "jelen" down here grow to about 350kg ,they are long legged,lack a maine & more silver around the neck often used in crosses to produce longer antlers & long brow & bey tines. The Western European red deer C e hippelephus or German stags grow to about 250kg & have a mane, antlers usually stop at 38 inches,but are heavy.English park red deer have a lot of German blood. English park reds can be considered the same as German stags although they are renowned for producing more points. Scottish stags C e scotticus only grow to about 150kg down here, these would be the closest to the indigenous red deer of England.

Cheers Sharkey

Sorry i can't give the Latin names (they stop teaching it when i went to school), but the naive red deer i shoot in central Scotland. A good hind will be 100-110 pounds and a late summer stag (end of August) could be up to 280 Lbs, biggest i have seen shot on the ground. But this is Scotland its effing cold and there is not a lot to eat so i could see in better climates with better feeding they would get bigger.

Andy7mm

In Breckland (Norfolk / Suffolk Border) Mature Hinds 200-250lbs Mature Stags 400-500lbs Calves 100-150lbs All weights in the skin, Head & Legs off and fully eviscerated

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lewis View Post
    In Breckland (Norfolk / Suffolk Border) Mature Hinds 200-250lbs Mature Stags 400-500lbs Calves 100-150lbs All weights in the skin, Head & Legs off and fully eviscerated
    Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lewis View Post
    Ive not come across any quite this big........sure possibly on a couple of the private estates where they are being fed, but the norm for a stag around elveden is around 150kg empty (500lb is nearly 227kg, I've yet to see anything quite that monstrous)

The reason that I asked, was that I saw something about 100lb hill hinds. The consenses here is that what you call hook weight, without the hide is about 60% live weight of our deer. I would assume that reds would be the same. The 'park reds' that I've hunted were in 1600 acres, with two 100 acre food plots of winter wheat. They were also supplemental grain and alfalfa fed when conditions warranted. We hunted the edge of the food plots. If you go here http://www.flyingaranch.net/hunting/photos_2008.htm you can see the two types. the ones called management are the park reds. They are on two seperate parts of the ranch, and can't get together. capt david