What woodburner

old keeper

After almost 40 years of hard use my old woodburning stove is on its last legs! I've had a bit of a look round but there are huge numbers of makes out there. Has anyone on here any suggestions? I am looking for about a 7kw model and have seen clearview and aarrow makes. The selection is vast so a bit of help would be appreciated.

I'd recommend arrow I have a 7kw. It's three years old and it's great. I will have to replace the fire bricks this year for the first. With arrow as well I think they still offer a life time guarantee on the structure of the body. I had a stovax before and had to replace the fire bricks and back throat place every year.

Have a Clearview 750 - must be 15 years old now, great machine. Downside is it can heat to self destruct level if you aren't careful! On plus side, the consumable parts tend to be much cheaper than cheaper stoves - so evens out over time. Would buy again.

At other end of the house have a Morso Squirrel ( think 3.5kw ). Different purpose but another great stove - outlived the Villager, Aarrow and ( I know, I know ) the ghastly abomination that I got from Machine Mart. If other models follow suit, I'd happily go with Morso.

Town & country fires make cracking stoves out of steel.
self cleaning glass due to air wash system.
they are based in Pickering North Yorkshire but am sure will ship to on a pallet to you.

I had a Loxton 8 by Mendip Stoves fitted in November. Best thing I've had had done to my house. Efficiant, clean and looks great. Worth concidering.

Win Mod 70

I have a friend local to you who can fit it for a sensible price, top bloke who know's what he is doing and is HETAS registered.
He did mine and some friends, very happy.
Mine is inset so probably not what you are looking for.

Cheers

Richard

I've had varios types and sizes of stoves over the years, maybe not the cheapest but I've found Morso to be the best :)
Corinium Stoves - Morso 8180 on low base

We heat the whole house, water & ch with a Morso Dove 12 kw with 34,000btu back boiler], been in 5 years and never once been cold or regretted the purchase.

I would stay clear of steel cheapies and stick to cast.

If you are looking for a stand alone woodburner, Morso is the best by a mile. I had a Squirrel in a previous house and a Badger now, absolutely great. I have a cheaper stove in another room, I really regret it. I will chuck it out and put a Squirrel in place of it whenever I have some stray cash.

If you want a stove that will heat water etc, Waterford Stanley do some very good stoves also.

another +1 for morso. You pay a little more but their stoves are all cast major parts (not fabricated) and last forever. We have two morso's that get a lot of use and just need the odd rope seal or repair to fire cement on the flue every year.

I thoroughly recommed getting a stove thermometer on your woodburner.

Under 200 degrees, they create creosote/tar that bungs up the flu/chimney, over 650 degrees they start damaging the shell of the burner.

Its also amazing how much more efficiently you can run them with the guage on, as you tune the vents/valves etc to keep it at the optimum temp, and its surprising how much less wood they go through.

We have an Aarrow - Ok but not great, not as controllable as the previous Hunter - a lot of the heat seems to go up the chimney.

Would echo others comments on the Morso - great wee machines - never seen a big one - only the "Squirrel" - did'nt know they made them.

We also have a "Jetmaster" open fire in one room which although not a stove does produce an incredible amount of heat from a very small amount of coal or wood. Good kit.

We replaced our oil fired Rayburn with a woodburning Lincar Ilaria CH/DHW/cooker last spring. It has saved us a large fortune on fuel and the cottage has never been so warm. atb Tim

Jotul are great. I had one shaped like a Dalek, forget the model name but it was really warm. Modern version of jotul stoves are sought after.

think there is also a Dovre, bit like the boots ! , that is double fronted and can be open or closed but great stove.

I got a clearview stove about 6 years ago. If I was to get another stove I think it would be a Clearview again. I can stoke it up and it will stay in for 20+ hours. It will boil a kettle in the time it takes me to put the rifle away and the dogs in the kennel.

Back