Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: In which Pine Marten's rifle arrives!

In which Pine Marten's rifle arrives!

I had a call from James at the Sportsman's Gun Centre this morning to tell me that my Steyr Mannlicher fullstock in 7mm-08 has finally been delivered from Austria, a month or so late which means I missed the chance to shoot my first deer with it, but better late than never, and there will be other occasions. I should be able to pick it up from Ray Ward's on Saturday. Unfortunately they weren't able to send a box of Federal Fusion along with it as the carrier won't take ammunition, and he said they'd have to send it separately at a cost of about 40 for a single 32 box, which is daft. Never mind, I have four factory loads to try, one of them will be fine.

Now I still have to wait all the way to Saturday!

OOOhhhh... is the Weekend going to be a long time coming for YOU!

Hope its everything you wish for.

Cheers

K

Quote Originally Posted by murrayb View Post
    OOOhhhh... is the Weekend going to be a long time coming for YOU!
    Well yes, but every weekend's like that. It's sleeping through Friday night that will be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I had a call from James at the Sportsman's Gun Centre this morning to tell me that my Steyr Mannlicher fullstock in 7mm-08 has finally been delivered from Austria, a month or so late which means I missed the chance to shoot my first deer with it, but better late than never, and there will be other occasions. I should be able to pick it up from Ray Ward's on Saturday. Unfortunately they weren't able to send a box of Federal Fusion along with it as the carrier won't take ammunition, and he said they'd have to send it separately at a cost of about 40 for a single 32 box, which is daft. Never mind, I have four factory loads to try, one of them will be fine.

Now I still have to wait all the way to Saturday!
    Have fun with your new toy! I'm sure you'll like it, the 7mm-08 is a great calibre. If you can, stick with the Fusion as they work well and are very accurate (at least they are in mine). The Remington 140gr Core-Lokt aren't bad either and if you can get to try some I know where there are about 100 rounds available at probably a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by The deer man View Post
    Have fun with your new toy! I'm sure you'll like it, the 7mm-08 is a great calibre. If you can, stick with the Fusion as they work well and are very accurate (at least they are in mine). The Remington 140gr Core-Lokt aren't bad either and if you can get to try some I know where there are about 100 rounds available at probably a reasonable price.
    I'm sure I will! I can't get hold of any Fusion in London, but I have a choice of Remington and Federal loads to try out. Once I've worked out what workes best in my rifle, I'll be in a position to buy larger quantities. I shall let you know how it goes.

Glad to hear your new toy has arrived keep us posted how your getting on with it
    the federal fusion in my 30 .06 were awesome so hope they go well in yours
    regards pete .

Quote Originally Posted by Roedinator View Post
    Glad to hear your new toy has arrived keep us posted how your getting on with it
    the federal fusion in my 30 .06 were awesome so hope they go well in yours
    regards pete .
    Well the Federal ones have much nicer boxes so my current favourite, based on no test data at all, is the 150gr Speer HotCor Vital Shok. But I think that some rather more rigourous criteria than that should be considered when the opportunity arises.

Have you managed to get a box of ppu ammo? It's a lot cheaper than all the rest, but obviously only if it groups in your rifle well. Henry Krank sell 140g sp for 68.40 for 100.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Have you managed to get a box of ppu ammo? It's a lot cheaper than all the rest, but obviously only if it groups in your rifle well. Henry Krank sell 140g sp for 68.40 for 100.
    I did try to obtain some, but there was none to be had, unless again I ordered a great pile of it, but not in small quantities just for test purposes. Also someone told me that the Prvi cases aren't reloadable for some reason, although I can't remember why. The fact is that I live in London. There are therefore no budget options for anything whatsoever...