Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glued In Action Removal

Glued In Action Removal

Having owned a certain 222 rifle for more years than I care to recall I recently attempted to remove the barrelled action to install a new trigger only to discover that the previous owner appears to have glued the darn thing in place!

Other than secrete rifle in a chest freezer for a week in the hope that something shrinks do you have any suggestions for non destructive release?

Cheers

K

If it was glassed into place, deep freezing is one of the methods recommended. An hand axe is second.

If you are sure you have all the mounting screws out, fold a towel and lay it on a bench or counter top. Tale the rifle by the wrist and foreend and swing it down, striking the barrel on the folded towel. It may pop it out. Can't hurt. ~Muir

I bet you they tried to glass bed it but forgot the release agent! LOL.

like Muir says, otherwise cut the stock off in bits and have a new one built.

Thanks Muir

Looks to me like industrial strength glue now I can see and imagine where its run!

And its a stuzen stocked rifle just to make things more interesting!

K

yeeeess...stutzens are tricky to knock the action out of this is going to be fun...

ok, you can try a debonder from a toy/model shop.

you can also try to knock the action out from the bottom via the action screw holes or floor plate recess.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    You can also try to knock the action out from the bottom via the action screw holes or floor plate recess.
    This is why I now KNOW its glued as I've already given it plenty of welly having made a false bolt with a flat bottom to allow maximum tapometer deployment!

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    yeeeess...stutzens are tricky to knock the action out of this is going to be fun...

ok, you can try a debonder from a toy/model shop.

you can also try to knock the action out from the bottom via the action screw holes or floor plate recess.
    This all just sounds like butchery to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    This is why I now KNOW its glued as I've already given it plenty of welly having made a false bolt with a flat bottom to allow maximum tapometer deployment!
    USe the method I described. It applies a lot of leverage to the action. Give it a good whack.~Muir

PS: What kind of rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    This all just sounds like butchery to me...
    Relax PM you'll soon get bored with oiling your full length before bed each night!

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Relax PM you'll soon get bored with oiling your full length before bed each night!
    Excellent if disturbing double-entendre, well done. Sort of.