6.5 120gr Barnes TTSX and N560

PointBlank

Anyone got any idea where to start with this because I am seeing a lot of conflicting information on here and in the books. :confused:

Don't know about 560 but I use 46 grains of N160, not saying its safe in yours though! A lot of the online data conflicts, try comparing with a Nosler manual.

Don't know about 560 but I use 46 grains of N160, not saying its safe in yours though! A lot of the online data conflicts, try comparing with a Nosler manual.

I have been looking at the Lee, Lyman and Vihtavouri data but still scratching my head!

In comparison with N160 they say you require more powder for most loads but i have read on here some people are using less :confused:

Last edited:
Anyone got any idea where to start with this because I am seeing a lot of conflicting information on here and in the books. :confused:
a quick play on quickload show starting charge at 49.2 to max charge of 51.6,hope this helps
Barns do like to be driven hard,thats what i found anyway

Last edited:
Had a bit of a play today into a heap of topsoil and I am getting 2900fps with 50.2 grains. Not had chance to check grouping yet but I know where I am heading. 50.5 was starting to show a bit a pressure signs.

Had a bit of a play today into a heap of topsoil and I am getting 2900fps with 50.2 grains. Not had chance to check grouping yet but I know where I am heading. 50.5 was starting to show a bit a pressure signs.
Hi Pointblank,
I too have 6.5x55 and also just started to develope a load, 50.2 of which powder if you don't mind.
atb blue.

Hi PB and all.
I have been reloading with 52.5 grains of N560 with 120grain Sierras in Lapua cases for around ten years now. I am getting around 2970fps from my Sako 75 with a 23" barrel and around 2890 from my BSA CF2 stutzen 19" barrel. I see no signs of pressure problems and have reloaded the cases around seven to eight times each (primer pockets are as tight as when new).
Vhit state 52.7 grains as Max load and my load sits just under that.
I get just under 1" 3shot groups with the Sako and just over from the CF2. I think that the CF2 would like a heavier/longer bullet, but don't see any reason to change (although I often think about it).
Not suggesting that your bullet/powder/case combination wil behave the same, but thought you might like the above information.

Hi PB and all.
I have been reloading with 52.5 grains of N560 with 120grain Sierras in Lapua cases for around ten years now. I am getting around 2970fps from my Sako 75 with a 23" barrel and around 2890 from my BSA CF2 stutzen 19" barrel. I see no signs of pressure problems and have reloaded the cases around seven to eight times each (primer pockets are as tight as when new).
Vhit state 52.7 grains as Max load and my load sits just under that.
I get just under 1" 3shot groups with the Sako and just over from the CF2. I think that the CF2 would like a heavier/longer bullet, but don't see any reason to change (although I often think about it).
Not suggesting that your bullet/powder/case combination wil behave the same, but thought you might like the above information.

Thanks techman.

I am new to reloading anyway so I am probably extra careful but I could see very slight bolt face marks on the base of the case at 50.5 so I called it a day there. I did think 2900 was probably fast enough anyway. This was barnes ttsx in federal brass and federal 210 primers.

Back