New member - Cardiff, South Wales

daverzz

Hi All,

Here’s my intro and plea for help.

My name is Dave, I'm 27 and live just outside Cardiff. I was born and raised in South Africa until I was 14 and have lived in N. Ireland for a bit too.

For the past couple of years, I have been to visit my cousins in Alabama, USA and go out shooting (targets, cans etc, handguns & rifles with various calibres) and I’ve tagged along on a few hunting outings with him. He really knows his stuff, but a couple of days a year really isn’t enough to pass much onto me, so I can probably be classed as a bit more than a complete novice.

So my plea for help is this really – there is so much information online and it’s pretty overwhelming when reading through it all on here, that I am hoping there may be someone or a club/society/syndicate (local if possible), who would be willing to help me out - give me a bit of advice, point me in the right direction, take me under their wing as they say.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave

PS sorry if my plea for help shouldn’t be in this section.

Welcome to the site Dave. I'm sure there'll be people locally who will be able to help and advise.
Do you have your FAC yet - or are you starting from very first principles?

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Eric, all I've really known has been hunting in the states so coming to grips with UK rules and principles is probably where I need to start. Should I be looking at getting my FAC sooner rather than later?

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Eric, all I've really known has been hunting in the states so coming to grips with UK rules and principles is probably where I need to start. Should I be looking at getting my FAC sooner rather than later?

I'm assuming it's deer stalking specifically rather than general game/vermin hunting we are talking about - but I would get yourself out on a couple of paid stalks (unless you can find someone who will let you go with them) and use the time to glean some of the information you will need. There are many rules and requirements in the UK. What I would say is make sure you keep a log of everything you do to show you have been thinking about the process. I would also consider some more formal training as you are unfamiliar with UK deer species etc - and this, along with recorded trips out will help any application you may choose to make.

Feel free to PM me and we can set up a chat if it's useful.

Cheers

I'm assuming it's deer stalking specifically rather than general game/vermin hunting we are talking about - but I would get yourself out on a couple of paid stalks (unless you can find someone who will let you go with them) and use the time to glean some of the information you will need. There are many rules and requirements in the UK. What I would say is make sure you keep a log of everything you do to show you have been thinking about the process. I would also consider some more formal training as you are unfamiliar with UK deer species etc - and this, along with recorded trips out will help any application you may choose to make.

Feel free to PM me and we can set up a chat if it's useful.

Cheers
Ye, it was deer stalking I was referring to. Wouldn't mind doing some duck hunting at some point - but that's for another time.

Thanks for all the advice - that's really useful! I'll make sure I keep a log from now on. By paid stalks and formal training, are we talking DSC?

A chat sometime would be great too thanks - I'll PM you and we can sort something.

Back