Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Landie Defender revival

Landie Defender revival

Been the happy owner of a Defender for a few weeks now. The last owner had used it for a trip round Africa, went across the Sahara in the old girl apparently! But since he got home she was mostly stored and slowly stripped of all the expedition gear. After some time it came up for sale, enter Me stage right.

As you can imagine, a long hard trip followed by a period of storage can take its toll, so some TLC has been lavished on the old thing over the past few weekends. I've got a mate who was in the REME and was a Land Rover chief engine tech for some years, so not much he doesn't know about them. Works for Vauxhall now.

One fine Saturday morning we had access to his bay at the garage he works in, so with Isobel (now named after my battle chariot in Iraq) on the four poster we did all of the fluids, engine/gearbox/transfer box and diffs, and the fuel and oil filters.

When the rear filler bung was wound back in it was found to be quite loose from previous people's services, they'd wound it in too far and nearly pushed it through into the diff! Paul said that what can happen is the bung gets caught by the diff and sucked into during travel!

After this was all done we went out and gave the underside a good wash off to get rid of all the salts etc in prep for a thorough waxoyl. While we were reversing into the wash bay, K-clunk! "WTF was that?" Says I, "Dunno mate, did the low box jump out of gear?" says Paul. While in the bay, a quick look around showed that the diff bung had been sucked in! Worst part was that as we drove out, the garage shut (1300hrs closing on Saturday) So we had to nurse Isobel 3.5 miles to Paul's workshop, 3.5 miles of fear that my rear diff was about to destroy itself!

After one more clunk and much twitching of derrières, we limped into the workshop. Orf with the diff pan to find a nicely chewed up bung, but a perfectly fine diff!

With that potential coronary behind us, a new gasket was made and the diff put back together.

Meanwhile, at the other end of ze vagon, I was distracting myself by changing the turbo hoses for my boy racer blue Sillycone ones and changing a rusty egr blanking plate for a shiny new one with a gasket.

Sunday we looked over all four brakes and cut off those stupid single steps by all the doors!

Some pics from the weekend, starting with me old mate Paul and his little pocket tool kit:

Isobel on the four poster:

While we could put her in the air we did all fluids. Note my battered sump pan! That's on the to do list:

Some previous grease monkey had used the wrong oil in the gear box it seemed, luckily only recently, and the axles hadn't been done in a long time! But they're all done proppa now.

Engine bay Pre fettle:

Note the air filter housing is skew whiff (all four mounts had broken!) and the skabby old turbo hoses.

The bottom intercooler hose actually had an inch long rip in it where it had perished around the jubilee clip, so i was glad I'd got the new hoses which at time of purchase were just a childish attempt at blinging my engine bay!

Here's the new hoses in place and the new EGR blanking plate:

Next thing for me to do was re fit the air filter housing:

It was a bugger getting behind it to disconnect the air intake hoses, but she's all done now with four new mounting rubbers:

While changing the fuel filter we discovered that the fuel lift pump is long past its best:

I've had Paul down my end this weekend doing all the bits we couldn't do after the drama with the rear diff soaked up time that weekend!

The mrs has decided she doesn't like the seats in the wagon, so she's blown her bolt on some Exmoor trim, which I thought was a waste of money, but she's paying!
    The driver/passenger seats are in, just need to do the rear passenger seats.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Defender revival part Deux!

Had a good weekend in the engine bay with a lot to achieve in a relatively short amount of time!

Here's Isobel ready in my mates barn for more TLC:

First thing that we did was remove the viscous fan, then we drained out all the old coolant, new water pump going in so it was a good time to replace the old gear:

After that the rad was taken out and put to one side, then we whipped out the old and cracked alternator belt. If you look carefully you can see the cracks on the ribs:

When that was off we had a good look at the tired old water pump. Now, it's worth mentioning that it's not like we felt the water pump was on its way out, but if we'd just left it we wouldn't have found This bluddy thing rattling around in the impeller!

You can see where it's been chewed on, could have eventually k.n.ackered the pump and lead to a nice cherry red 300 tdi!

Future crisis averted, new pump fitted:

New belt was fitted, so we moved swiftly on to the timing belt. As the bolts were undone it became apparent that there was a fairly new gasket, so we ummed and ahhed about whether the current belt was a fairly recent one. I decided to change it anyway, and was glad i did as the new/old belt and gasket was all that had been changed, the belt tensioner etc were all the old original parts, the kit i'd got from Paddocks had the new up to date parts:

Old left, new right:

Old 2 part piece, new one part piece:

All cleaned out, new parts fitted, belt tension set:

You may remember from part one the Fuel Lift Pump was dying, so we fitted a new one:

Although it has improved matters, the engine is still missing and stuttering now and then, so we suspect the injectors need a good clean or replacing. We did check the valve clearances, 2 or 3 were a touch tight, but the stutter is still there. So Injectors are our next priority.

The Kenlowe fan has been fitted, but it was quite involved and we were trying to beat the clock, so i got few pics of the instalation. Basically, it now sits where the viscous used to be, and i mounted it to the fan cowling. Here's where the board went:

And to keep the power cable out of the belts i used a knife to inlet the cowling for it:

I'll get a few pics of the fan in place.

Hopefully soon she'll be running sweet.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Looks good, built a 90 with my dad great fun. Due a bit of TLC now cambelt and water pump needs doing.
    Hope the revival goes well
    atb matt

Quote Originally Posted by MGD View Post
    Looks good, built a 90 with my dad great fun. Due a bit of TLC now cambelt and water pump needs doing.
    Hope the revival goes well
    atb matt
    Fairly easy jobs mate, what engine do you have? Just be carefull about the timing on your cam belt and you'll be fine. I found the parts for mine were cheapest on eBay.

Hello Mate

Isobel is looking good

Should be a right good en when finished

Keep us in the loop on progress

ATB

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    Hello Mate

Isobel is looking good

Should be a right good en when finished

Keep us in the loop on progress

ATB

Phil
    Will do mate.

Planning to fit a new Alisport intercooler in a few months time. It's a direct fit replacement of the original, but has 50% more surface area. With the boost pressures tweeked i'll (apparently) go from 111bhp to 135bhp with a gain in torque as well. Some say you gain back some economy, which is the main reason for the change.

The Kenlowe is also supposed to gain upto an extra 5mpg, just because by removing the old viscous fan you remove that burden from the engines workload, and also allow the engine to warm up quicker.

That's what it's all about for me, keeping it running clean and healthy and getting as good economy as i can. Even before all this work I'd already noticed she's better on the juice than my old Td5 Disco, so it's win win for me!

Quote Originally Posted by digger9523 View Post
    Will do mate.

Planning to fit a new Alisport intercooler in a few months time. It's a direct fit replacement of the original, but has 50% more surface area. With the boost pressures tweeked i'll (apparently) go from 111bhp to 135bhp with a gain in torque as well. Some say you gain back some economy, which is the main reason for the change.

The Kenlowe is also supposed to gain upto an extra 5mpg, just because by removing the old viscous fan you remove that burden from the engines workload, and also allow the engine to warm up quicker.

That's what it's all about for me, keeping it running clean and healthy and getting as good economy as i can. Even before all this work I'd already noticed she's better on the juice than my old Td5 Disco, so it's win win for me!

Replace the Cat/soot canister in the front downpipe with a straight through front pipe. you will get better performance and more fuel economy, if already not done.

If you want to spend a lot get a Disco transfer box as they are higher geared than a Defender one.

Jon

I changed all the mounts on my air filter can on Sunday. Awkward job but she's so much quieter now. Did the brake pads today. Nothing unusual, I'm always doing something to the bloody thing!

Nice clean bits show up the rest so give it some TLC and a darned good clean up . Am not a Landie fan although I did look at getting one a few years back. Quickly decided that I could get a Jeep cheaper so did that. It was good for our needs and use.

You might like the try Island 4X4 for parts. they seem to be good on prices. I am about to order cam belt stuff for the KV6 engine from them. Land Rover uses it in the Freelander of course and the belts etc are the same as fitted to my Rover 75.

Beauty, but you shouldn't have bothered buying the Kenlowe fan, i haven't run one on my 300tdi for 10 years now, even towing in summer it never even gets close to overheating!
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.