Thread: Fat vixen

Fat vixen

Well the Mrs is away with work 'int big smoke' for a few days so thought I'd make the most of it. Been out tonight for a few hours in pursuit of Charlie and to try my new Nordik Predator call, from Kristopher Klaussen. Tried a few spots early on but got no response but at about 11:15pm got a set of eyes 200 yds out. He worked his way round to about 100 yds but skylined so no shot. Left him be and carried on calling. 2 mins later picked up two pairs of eyes in a hedge only 100 yds away. One very interested one totally static, so waited for one to clear the hedge and took the shot but the other remained where it was. At this point I thought it must be a deer and to drive on, so I drove 50 yds further down so I could see down the back of said hedge, but what I thought was a deer turned out to be a vixen curled up, just looking at me, so she got it. Anyway the dog was at the back of a flooded area so left it there but I retrieved the vixen and what a pregnant little so and so. Very heavy with at least 5 cubs inside - worth shooting 6 foxes in my book that one!

I also can't recommend the Predator call enough, it took a bit of working out to get the best noise from it but once you get the hang of it, I can gauruntee no electronic caller will come close in volume, or realistic sound! And at 35 I know which is best value for money!

Tom
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

For anyone that has a foxpro caller, the "lil Jack" call is identical to the call the clausen makes, it really does work well,give it a go

Tikkat3

Quote Originally Posted by TikkaT3 View Post
    For anyone that has a foxpro caller, the "lil Jack" call is identical to the call the clausen makes, it really does work well,give it a go

Tikkat3
    Not tried that one for a while will give it a go.

Hi,
    does any one else find that dog foxes are so easily called just now? We have 30,000 acre sheep farm and dog foxes have been coming in like a train with the fox pro just now and I have a theory I thought I would put to you guys. At this time o year when foxes are paired when they hear a distress call from prey I think they think another fox is causing the distress call and they are coming to investigate In case another dog fox is trying to push into there territory or its another vixen they can pair with????

we lamp and snare all year round and the foxes we get at this time of year are by no means lean or Hungary looking. Also the foxes at other times of year except big cubs seem to have little interest in any calls.

regards nick

Quote Originally Posted by nicklowlander View Post
    At this time o year when foxes are paired when they hear a distress call from prey I think they think another fox is causing the distress call and they are coming to investigate In case another dog fox is trying to push into there territory or its another vixen they can pair with????

regards nick
    Your suggestion is, indeed, highly likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    Your suggestion is, indeed, highly likely.
    I also find this to be the case, they are very territorial this time of year and won't give it up easily. On Sunday night I waited out at a very likely spot which over looks a bank where most years a vixen will cub, within 20 min I had a heavily pregnant vixen at 160yards (carrying 5 and full of milk, amazed she was still above ground) let things settle for 5 min then let rip with the hare distress within minutes I had the dog fox down, he was an old fella and was dispatched at a massive 12 yards! Saying this i'll leave that spot for 3-4 week and usually at this time of year another pair will of taken up residence.