Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 70

Thread: Max ammo in possession question?

  1. #1

    Max ammo in possession question?

    Hi Everyone,

    I'm just filling in my FAC application for a variation for a Centrefire. How much ammunition would you say is a reasonable amount to ask to keep in possession? On my .17HMR I keep up to 550 rounds but I don't think that would need half that for a stalking rifle. What's the norm? I don't want my FLO thinking I want to start a small war.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Roelander View Post
    Hi Everyone,

    I'm just filling in my FAC application for a variation for a Centrefire. How much ammunition would you say is a reasonable amount to ask to keep in possession? On my .17HMR I keep up to 550 rounds but I don't think that would need half that for a stalking rifle. What's the norm? I don't want my FLO thinking I want to start a small war.
    Hi

    I've got 400 to hold and 200 to buy on my 6.5x55. Gives me plenty for a day's play at the range

    There will be folks on here with x10 that, but it's not my day job...

    Cheers
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

  3. #3
    If you look at the guidance to police document you will see that 200 to purchase and 250 to hold is mentioned as being acceptable though some forces are reluctant to grant this number. Don't forget that you may want to hold more because of reloading. Bullets are mostly sold in boxes of 100 and expanding bullets wether loaded or not count towards your ammunition allowance.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by iainfarthing View Post
    Hi

    I've got 400 to hold and 200 to buy on my 6.5x55. Gives me plenty for a day's play at the range

    There will be folks on here with x10 that, but it's not my day job...

    Cheers
    i.
    Hi Ian,

    Sounds like a good plan and I'm the same, it's not my day job but a play on the range now and again will be planned for some fun,

    Cheers,

    Paul.

  5. #5
    As it appears to be your first CF I'd suggest you ask for 100 to buy at one time and 160 to hold.
    That would give you enough to buy 100 of the same batch and keep enough should you be invited on a trip to shoot somewhere where there isn't a local shop and much less likelihood of getting any more of the same batch.
    For general stalking activities there isn't a great difference between batches to make any difference but some people are anal about the Nth of a mm when shooting, when in reality, if you can group your shots to within an inch at 100yds that is perfectly satisfactory.
    I have 500 to buy and 600 to hold but that isn't normal for CF ammo, but then I've been told I am not normal
    Later on as you get the opportunity to use your rifle more or if you get into reloading then look at much bigger numbers similar to mine.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    If you look at the guidance to police document you will see that 200 to purchase and 250 to hold is mentioned as being acceptable though some forces are reluctant to grant this number. Don't forget that you may want to hold more because of reloading. Bullets are mostly sold in boxes of 100 and expanding bullets wether loaded or not count towards your ammunition allowance.
    Ok, that's food for thought then too.

    Thanks again,

    Paul.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    As it appears to be your first CF I'd suggest you ask for 100 to buy at one time and 160 to hold.
    That would give you enough to buy 100 of the same batch and keep enough should you be invited on a trip to shoot somewhere where there isn't a local shop and much less likelihood of getting any more of the same batch.
    For general stalking activities there isn't a great difference between batches to make any difference but some people are anal about the Nth of a mm when shooting, when in reality, if you can group your shots to within an inch at 100yds that is perfectly satisfactory.
    I have 500 to buy and 600 to hold but that isn't normal for CF ammo, but then I've been told I am not normal
    Hi EMcC,

    It's not my first centrefire, I used to shoot a .308 up until 1998 but I can't remember how much ammo I used to have down on my ticket. I'll be loading my own again too so I just need to weigh up all of the options.

    Cheers,

    Paul.

  8. #8
    250 to hold, 200 to buy is in the guidance, and then it says if reloading holders can request to double this, as I recently did, so hold 500 buy 400.

  9. #9
    Hi, I started with an allowance of buy 200 and hold 300, for my .223, with use on a farm only.

    Later I joined a club, started to shoot on a range and I now reload too. I went for a change of use to include range shooting and an increase in ammo.
    I asked for and got, hold 600 and purchase 400.

    Alan

  10. #10
    Being in Essex mine is a mess.
    .22 Hornet, .243 and 7.62x39 are all the same.
    Hold 250 rounds expanding, 250 rounds solid, 600 expanding missiles.
    Buy is 200 ex, and 200 solid, 400 expanding missiles.
    Rimfires are all hold 750 expanding and 750 solid
    Buy is 500 of each.
    All are held for field use, no target shooting.

    Neil.

Similar Threads

  1. Quick Question in DSC1 question bank (97)
    By AndrewW in forum Training and Qualifications
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 31-01-2013, 22:40
  2. Joint Possession of Rifles???
    By charlieg43 in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-01-2013, 18:42
  3. What Does "In Possession" Mean?
    By paul k in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 15-05-2011, 21:51
  4. Few question re Calibre and ammo!
    By TGEvans in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 23-01-2011, 20:40
  5. Max
    By WAYNE DAVIES in forum Deer Dogs & Tracking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-04-2008, 18:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •