Max ammo in possession question?

Roelander

Hi Everyone,

I'm just filling in my FAC application for a variation for a Centrefire. How much ammunition would you say is a reasonable amount to ask to keep in possession? On my .17HMR I keep up to 550 rounds but I don't think that would need half that for a stalking rifle. What's the norm? I don't want my FLO thinking I want to start a small war.

Hi Everyone,

I'm just filling in my FAC application for a variation for a Centrefire. How much ammunition would you say is a reasonable amount to ask to keep in possession? On my .17HMR I keep up to 550 rounds but I don't think that would need half that for a stalking rifle. What's the norm? I don't want my FLO thinking I want to start a small war.

Hi

I've got 400 to hold and 200 to buy on my 6.5x55. Gives me plenty for a day's play at the range

There will be folks on here with x10 that, but it's not my day job...

Cheers
i.

If you look at the guidance to police document you will see that 200 to purchase and 250 to hold is mentioned as being acceptable though some forces are reluctant to grant this number. Don't forget that you may want to hold more because of reloading. Bullets are mostly sold in boxes of 100 and expanding bullets wether loaded or not count towards your ammunition allowance.

Hi

I've got 400 to hold and 200 to buy on my 6.5x55. Gives me plenty for a day's play at the range

There will be folks on here with x10 that, but it's not my day job...

Cheers
i.

Hi Ian,

Sounds like a good plan and I'm the same, it's not my day job but a play on the range now and again will be planned for some fun,

Cheers,

Paul.

As it appears to be your first CF I'd suggest you ask for 100 to buy at one time and 160 to hold.
That would give you enough to buy 100 of the same batch and keep enough should you be invited on a trip to shoot somewhere where there isn't a local shop and much less likelihood of getting any more of the same batch.
For general stalking activities there isn't a great difference between batches to make any difference but some people are anal about the Nth of a mm when shooting, when in reality, if you can group your shots to within an inch at 100yds that is perfectly satisfactory.
I have 500 to buy and 600 to hold but that isn't normal for CF ammo, but then I've been told I am not normal ;)
Later on as you get the opportunity to use your rifle more or if you get into reloading then look at much bigger numbers similar to mine.

If you look at the guidance to police document you will see that 200 to purchase and 250 to hold is mentioned as being acceptable though some forces are reluctant to grant this number. Don't forget that you may want to hold more because of reloading. Bullets are mostly sold in boxes of 100 and expanding bullets wether loaded or not count towards your ammunition allowance.

Ok, that's food for thought then too.

Thanks again,

Paul.

As it appears to be your first CF I'd suggest you ask for 100 to buy at one time and 160 to hold.
That would give you enough to buy 100 of the same batch and keep enough should you be invited on a trip to shoot somewhere where there isn't a local shop and much less likelihood of getting any more of the same batch.
For general stalking activities there isn't a great difference between batches to make any difference but some people are anal about the Nth of a mm when shooting, when in reality, if you can group your shots to within an inch at 100yds that is perfectly satisfactory.
I have 500 to buy and 600 to hold but that isn't normal for CF ammo, but then I've been told I am not normal ;)

Hi EMcC,

It's not my first centrefire, I used to shoot a .308 up until 1998 but I can't remember how much ammo I used to have down on my ticket. I'll be loading my own again too so I just need to weigh up all of the options.

Cheers,

Paul.

250 to hold, 200 to buy is in the guidance, and then it says if reloading holders can request to double this, as I recently did, so hold 500 buy 400.

Hi, I started with an allowance of buy 200 and hold 300, for my .223, with use on a farm only.

Later I joined a club, started to shoot on a range and I now reload too. I went for a change of use to include range shooting and an increase in ammo.
I asked for and got, hold 600 and purchase 400.

Alan

Being in Essex mine is a mess.
.22 Hornet, .243 and 7.62x39 are all the same.
Hold 250 rounds expanding, 250 rounds solid, 600 expanding missiles.
Buy is 200 ex, and 200 solid, 400 expanding missiles.
Rimfires are all hold 750 expanding and 750 solid
Buy is 500 of each.
All are held for field use, no target shooting.

Neil. :)

Hi Everyone,

Roelander,

If you're not a reloader then I would suggest that the 200/250 limit set down in the Guidance Note is ample for a recreational stalker. However, if you are a reloader I would say you need to possess a minimum of 500. (I have permission for 900 in each centrefire calibre I shoot).

As a foot note, I would say 'Good luck' as you'll need it with Cheshire. Make sure you are fully conversant with the relevant sections of the Guidance and stand your ground.

Good luck again,

Tim

Roelander,

If you're not a reloader then I would suggest that the 200/250 limit set down in the Guidance Note is ample for a recreational stalker. However, if you are a reloader I would say you need to possess a minimum of 500. (I have permission for 900 in each centrefire calibre I shoot).

As a foot note, I would say 'Good luck' as you'll need it with Cheshire. Make sure you are fully conversant with the relevant sections of the Guidance and stand your ground.

Good luck again,

Tim

Cheers Tim,

Thankfully I live over the border in North East Wales. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I've got to say that the North Wales Police Firearms Department have been fantastic and are a world away from the days when a certian Mr. Smith was in charge there. I've heard all about Cheshire, all sorts of horror stories!

As for the 7mm 08.... order time for a new rifle is a special order and from 6 to 9 months!!!!! A .308 in the same rifle is within 2 days! I guess that solves that one then.....

If you are granted the amount as given by the Guidance notes and you find that it is not enough for your needs, simply buy your limit a few times in relatively in quick sucession and that will be your evidence to ask and obtain an increase.

well for both my 22-250 and .270 i have buy 80 of each and hold 100 of each. i find that is more than enough for my stalking and foxing needs usually go and but 60 when i get down to 40ish

With my first I had buy 200 keep 300, i got that upped recently to buy 500 keep 800 as I am reloading. My mate has just got his first cert and only has keep 60!! same force..go figure.

hi Roelander,
I'm in North Wales too.
On my recent variation application for my first centrefire, I asked for 120 to hold and 100 to buy, thinking in terms of boxes of 20. However, the ticket came back with permission for 200.
As you said, NWP are pretty good like that.
They did the same thing a few years ago when I got my .22LR. Doubled what I asked for!

Back