Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: factory loaded federal .222 cartridge primers protruding after firing

factory loaded federal .222 cartridge primers protruding after firing

Good Afternoon All,

I am looking for some advice as after firing 10no federal 40grain in a .222 caliber the cartridge primers are protruding in 9/10 cases.

Is this a fault with the factory loaded cases or is this down to there been a fault with the head space in the gun?

Is it also wise to reload these cases?

All if any information on this would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Sam

Cratered or protruding?

pics would help

Did the rifle have bad headspace before you fired these? Did it develop excessive headspace sitting in the cabinet waiting to be shot??

If the answer is "no" to question number one then you simply have under pressured loads and the answer to question number two is also "no". ~Muir

In reply to bewsher500 the primers are protruding from the head of the case, I shall take some pictures this evening and upload.

In reply to Muir, I am unsure on bad head space before I fired these rounds as I have only purchased the rifle, I am however going to use a different type of ammunition (50grain v-max polymer tipped and 40grain hornady polymer tipped) this weekend and see what the outcome is.

Thanks

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by smhenderson View Post
    In reply to bewsher500 the primers are protruding from the head of the case, I shall take some pictures this evening and upload.

In reply to Muir, I am unsure on bad head space before I fired these rounds as I have only purchased the rifle, I am however going to use a different type of ammunition (50grain v-max polymer tipped and 40grain hornady polymer tipped) this weekend and see what the outcome is.

Thanks

Sam
    The factory .222 is loaded to some anemic levels and I'm guessing that it is simply low pressure loading. An alternative is this combined with a rough chamber. If it is low pressure loads, this backing out is to be expected; not enough pressure to drive the case rearward and re-seat the primer which, in all but the tightest chambers, will back out during primary ignition. The cases should be fine to reload. The "Triple Deuce" is a fine cartridge. Have fun with it.~Muir

I found the primers to be protruding on the 9.3x57mm rifle I have. Loading data is rather space for this cartridge and using data from a Wolf publication I had to increase the charge quite a bit above "his" maximum to get the to stay flush. It's not only the chamber but the bore dimensions and type of rifling that can and does alter the way the rifle and cartridge reacts to pressures.

That 9.3x57mm rifle is fine on head space according to the proof house and the RCBS dies do not have to push the shoulder back on full length re-sizing. The rifle was an import from Sweden and so had to go through proof before being sold. Like a lot of European rifle of the time it has deep rifling grooves of at least 0.008" deep. As best I can measure at the muzzle using digital caliper the groove diameter is .371" and not the " modern accepted" size of 0.366". This helps reduce the pressures hence the need for larger charges than the article writers later model 146.

Chances are that your rifle is under headspaced. If your worried about it get it checked with your local gunsmith.
    Reloading the cases is fine. Give them a thorough inspection for the general imperfections.
    +1 for Brithunters example. Find it a lot with tight grooved target barrels from Krieger.

By under headspaced you mean the chamber isn't cut deeply enough? ~Muir

My bad, meant to say "case is under headspaced". Chamber longer than shoulder of cartridge.
    Last edited by Baggy; 03-03-2013 at 08:55.

The only rifle I have ever encountered personally that the shoulder was cut deeper or further that the specs called for was in a wartime manufacture Lee Enfield. Head space was fine as of course the 303 is rimmed or flanged as we British used to say .

I have never even found a Lee Enfield that was out of head space spec and yes I do have head space gauges for 303 British. I find that most people who harp on about head space do so after reading about it in books and on the web yet really have no proper understanding what it is or what it does.

They read or hear horror stories and most of those are just stories just like Harry Potter is, just a story, having witnessed the result of a real head space issue due to uninformed vendors where a .308 Norma chambered rifle was sold as a.308 Winchester and it was fired with a .308 Winchester. beign a Mauser action the extractor held the case enough for the pin to detonate the primer. The case came out parallel with no shoulder or neck as they had blown out to form to the longer chamber. The bullet hit very low. No damage done to rifle of those shooting and spotting for the shooter.

Twas the spotter who noticed the strange case shape and at first thought it was a case seperation and stopped the firing from loading another. Then on closer inspection the fire formed case was realised and closer inspection which required the removal of the scope to reveal the chambering stamp on top of the breech. Due to the low mounted scope this could not be seen fully hence the vendor, an auction house, saw 308 but not the Norma and "assumed" it was .308 Winchester.

Now according to the old wives tales and horror internet stories and myths the rifle should have exploded and injured all those near by. Some weeks later the tip of the extractor did break but we don't know if it was this incident of misuse by previous owners forcing rounds into the chamber directly instead of feeding up from the magazine as it's designed to do. A new extractor was obtained from Norman Clark and fitted.

Not that is THE ONLY case of real excessive head space I have seen in all the years of shooting and collecting. Not exactly the impression the media gives though is it?
    Last edited by Brithunter; 03-03-2013 at 09:25.