Thread: norma powders

norma powders

All: following the information provided by Londonhunter regarding the possible instability of Vihtavouri I was prompted to investigate the demise in supply of Norma powders. In short, nobody imports them and no major importer is inclined at present to commence doing so for a variety of reasons.

My question is did anyone use Norma when they were available and would anyone use them now if they were available?

If the powders are anything like the rest of the Norma products they ought to be high quality and would provide hand loaders with another option, more felxibility and perhaps a degree of resilience if we lose Viht.

Thoughts please ladies and gents.

Regards

G

I dont know about the availability of Norma powder in the UK (we pretty much only have Norma and Vihtavuori here) but I am pretty certain that Alliant sources it 's powder from Bofors (who also supply Norma/Rhino). Once you crack the codes I believe the powders are pretty close if not interchangeable. Ie Re 7 - Norma 200, Re 22 - Norma MRP.

I can't remember seeing Norma powders for sale in the U.K. for the last 25years or so. I remember when Parker Hale used to import and ditribute them but they were considered expensive then as we had Nobel (Glasgow) powders available and these were both good and cheap.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Border View Post
    I dont know about the availability of Norma powder in the UK (we pretty much only have Norma and Vihtavuori here) but I am pretty certain that Alliant sources it 's powder from Bofors (who also supply Norma/Rhino). Once you crack the codes I believe the powders are pretty close if not interchangeable. Ie Re 7 - Norma 200, Re 22 - Norma MRP.
    I don't think they are the same. Norma powders are mostly single-based tubular whereas the Alliant range are double-based ball or disc powders. I've used N200, N202, N204 (still got some of this) and MRP. These few powders cover the whole range of UK calibres, and are great products. It's a pity they're no longer imported.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by zaitsev View Post
    All: following the information provided by Londonhunter regarding the possible instability of Vihtavouri
    ...have you got a link to his info at all?

I'd be interested to read more

Quote Originally Posted by saddler View Post
    ...have you got a link to his info at all?

I'd be interested to read more
    The issue has been all over Finnish media, but not lately in international media. You can do a web search with "eurenco plans to sell vihtavuori".

It's not a new thing, here's quite informative article in English from last year:

Eurenco to Sell Vihtavuori Plant, But Production Should Continue Daily Bulletin

The latest issue seems to be environmental legislation; nobody wants to buy the factory since it includes all responsibility for the possible contamination of the soil etc. for the last 100y or so...

In any case the factory should continue for a year or two, basically to use up any stored raw materials etc. but there's no saying which products will be manufactured during that period.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    I don't think they are the same. Norma powders are mostly single-based tubular whereas the Alliant range are double-based ball or disc powders. I've used N200, N202, N204 (still got some of this) and MRP. These few powders cover the whole range of UK calibres, and are great products. It's a pity they're no longer imported.
    Sorry, to be more clear, the Reloder series by Alliant, not the whole powder series.
    Apologies....

I loaded 1000s of bullets with Norma N202 and MRP in the old days.
    Their MRP was similar to Nobel No.0 and the N202 was similar to Nobel No.1 .
    Currently I use mainly Varget which seems to vary from one lot to the next and Vihtavouri which seems very stable.

HWH.