Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: vit 140 or 160 for 243

  1. #1

    vit 140 or 160 for 243

    Starting to reload for my 243 ive got vit 140 i want to load 90grain heads done some checking i think i may be better getting some vit 160 to use with this weight of head,or should i try something else i can get vit or ramshot powders localy.whats best.MY 243 Seems to like 90grain so im looking to find a good load an just stick with that.used for roe an fox.thanks.

  2. #2
    I use 36grn of n140 with the 90grn bullets in .243, as an alternative I have used H4831 which performs just as well but gives greater flexibility for heavier 100grn bullets, atb Tim

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by macfarlane View Post
    Starting to reload for my 243 ive got vit 140 i want to load 90grain heads done some checking i think i may be better getting some vit 160 to use with this weight of head,or should i try something else i can get vit or ramshot powders localy.whats best.MY 243 Seems to like 90grain so im looking to find a good load an just stick with that.used for roe an fox.thanks.
    My Sako and Tikka .243s shot well with 87gr V.Max bullets and 46gr of Viht.N160 .
    Excellent groups also with 40.5gr Viht.N140 and 75gr Speer HP or 75gr V.Max. bullets.
    Currently I have a .243 CZ which does well with 40.5gr Viht. N140 and 70gr Nosler BTs and 75gr V.Max. bullets.

    As with all loads of other persons start lower and work up !
    HWH.
    Last edited by stag1933; 01-03-2013 at 10:30. Reason: Picture added.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by macfarlane View Post
    Starting to reload for my 243 ive got vit 140 i want to load 90grain heads done some checking i think i may be better getting some vit 160 to use with this weight of head,or should i try something else i can get vit or ramshot powders localy.whats best.MY 243 Seems to like 90grain so im looking to find a good load an just stick with that.used for roe an fox.thanks.
    use 160 mate as your case density will be better 140 is beter suited to the lighter bullets

  5. #5
    see it shoot it thanks thats what i thought,but seems people are using both.I prefer using the bullets in the 90 to 100 grain .thanks

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    use 160 mate as your case density will be better 140 is beter suited to the lighter bullets
    Agree with this, 140's a good powder but better suited to the lighter bullet weights in my experience.

  7. #7
    87grn hornady,45grn n160. used it for 20 years in m55 tikkas.

  8. #8
    +1 on N140 for 243 up to 75 grain bullets - for 100 grains I like something slower & have used Reloder 22 for up to 105 grains (round nose) - both powders give fine accuracy & high velocity is achieved without any pressure problems from my standard twist barrels (BSA & KRIKO in the past & now TIKKA).

    Ian

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    I use 36grn of n140 with the 90grn bullets in .243, as an alternative I have used H4831 which performs just as well but gives greater flexibility for heavier 100grn bullets, atb Tim
    +1
    I use 36gr N140 with 100gr too. Very consistent and accurate.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

  10. #10
    I use nothing but 42 gr of N 160 for a 95 Hornady SST in my 243 and they are great,N 160 Is also good for my 270.I use N 140 for my 30-06 ,both are great powders and cheap.

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted 6.5 160 grain
    By 6.5/284matt in forum Reloading
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-02-2013, 17:51
  2. *SOLD* 1 lb tub Vit 160
    By sir-slots-alot in forum Reloading
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-10-2012, 11:15
  3. Sierra Pro Hunter 120 grain and Vit 160 in 6.5 x 55
    By Dovebob in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 19-10-2011, 18:58
  4. For Sale unopened 1 KG tub of Vit 140
    By reiver in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15-03-2011, 09:50
  5. vit 120-160 SOLD
    By MrYou in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-11-2009, 16:42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •