Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: which 30-06?

which 30-06?

I am going to be in the market for a 30-06 very soon and I haven't got a clue what to get. This is going to be a "Sunday best" rifle for highseat use or for any other opportunities that arise. I am keeping my 6.5x55 sako 85 s/s as my normal workhorse but not sure where to go with the new one.

Another sako but in wood and blue perhaps? Is it a good idea to have a similar configuration rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    I am going to be in the market for a 30-06 very soon and I haven't got a clue what to get. This is going to be a "Sunday best" rifle for highseat use or for any other opportunities that arise. I am keeping my 6.5x55 sako 85 s/s as my normal workhorse but not sure where to go with the new one.

Another sako but in wood and blue perhaps? Is it a good idea to have a similar configuration rifle?
    Hi PB.

Both my deer rifles are of the same make, as I believe it does make life easier when under pressure / in darkness / difficult conditions etc. The personal taste within that format would be down to your preferences for the rifle in question, but to have the same form and function when using them is a good factor to have on your side.

I have a .30-06 and it is a cracking calibre, good choice.

All the best.

Neil.

Very good idea to have two rifles of same configuration - stops all that messing around fiddling with different safety catches etc - if everything is the same makes life simpler - I've got two Mannlichers - one Stutzen one Halfstock - different calibers - but otherwise the same in every respect - yeah wood and blue ie the way to go !!!

The only thing that I have been thinking about is if I have 2 M size action 85's in the safe then it is only going to be a matter of time before I leave the house with the wrong bolt! Hopefully if the new one is blued then it should stop this happening
    Last edited by PointBlank; 01-03-2013 at 16:34.

Oiled cloth bag - labeled - one for each - sorted !! - both my bolts are blued.

Sauer
    Manlicher
    Mauser

Blue and wood

Unless you're absolutely committed to .30-06, there's a really nice looking Sauer on here in .308 - ideal "Sunday best" rifle. Whatever, blue and wood, definitely!

Andrew

I am a huge fan of the 30-06, but of course I'm fromTexas. It is the American world standard. I've never hunted Great Britian, but am familiar with your game. That said, I'd also go for a 308. There is not enough difference, in the field, to ever know the difference. capt david

Quote Originally Posted by captdavid View Post
    I am a huge fan of the 30-06, but of course I'm fromTexas. It is the American world standard. I've never hunted Great Britian, but am familiar with your game. That said, I'd also go for a 308. There is not enough difference, in the field, to ever know the difference. capt david
    What even with the heavier bullets theres no difference I must be reading the wrong data.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    Unless you're absolutely committed to .30-06, there's a really nice looking Sauer on here in .308 - ideal "Sunday best" rifle. Whatever, blue and wood, definitely!

Andrew
    Probably right andrew, trouble is the variation is already in for the '06 an I think I actually would like one
    Last edited by PointBlank; 02-03-2013 at 00:08.