Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SD Level 1 sponsorship

SD Level 1 sponsorship

Since putting our intentions on the site about our proposed sponsorship we have had quite a few offers of help in various forms. Some of these have been the offer of cash, although appreciated can I just say that we do not wish to receive cash, we are not doing this to make money and if we were to accept donations then this accusation could easily be levelled, and this we do not want.

Moray Outfitting have offered to donate training, they were our original supporters in this and deserve recognition, as have BASC, we pay the registration fee which cannot be avoided and they provide the training. DSC Training have also offered to make their website and online learning facilities available for the successful applicants. Although BASC are providing the training, by way of donation, that is their only involvement in this endeavour. I have spoken to Peter Marshall, who made the offer of BASC's behalf, and he has assured me that they fully support us in this and wish to support us and not promote themselves in this, so no negative comments please.

As this is our first year we intend to provide the level 1 opportunity for three people, one in the North of Scotland, One in the Midlands and one in the South of England. Who will be eligible? Basically a novice to stalking who can convince us of their worth to go on the course. Therefore any applicant who wishes to be considered should submit there reasons to Admin and we will consider each and everyone of them, our word is final.

All that we ask in return is that whoever is chosen will keep us, the site membership, informed of their progress in the form of a blog or articles something that we can read. Not just "I attended on the day and was successful" we want to know how your preparation is going, obviously how the course went and then what follows. By this we mean that if you are lucky enough to have been offered stalking or someone to be your mentor, kit, anything at all that impinges on your journey into the world of stalking we want to know. Remember there is always someone who can benefit by sharing your experiences, you could become a sort of online mentor.

Of course the dates will remain a mystery until we have chosen who is to go on the courses, but now is the time for applicants to start submitting their "cases", contact Admin will do for this.

To kick things off for the successful candidates, whoever gets the North of Scotland nomination and achieves their level 1 can go stalking my ground for as many outings as it takes for them to grass a beast. I also know that Malcolm will help out the South of England applicant in some way as well.

Can I also ask that anyone wishing to donate, anything but money, contact me as Malcolm is away more than me with clients, thank you all and good luck to the prospective candidates.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

I am pleased to announce that the number of sponsored positions we are able to offer has risen to five, with the additional two places being in the North of England.

You may be surprised to hear that as of yet, no one has submitted a request for a place. That may well be my fault as I may have not made it clear enough. These course places after being awarded will then take a bit of liaison work between the winner and the course provider, so the quicker the whole process is under way the better really.

So to make it abundantly clear, the scheme is up and running, there is provision in place for the awarding of five places, applications for a place are now being accepted. It will hopefully become a dynamic scheme which will grow and provide for more placements for new stalkers.

John

Fantastic Idea JayB/Malc, if you require any land or assistance in any form just let me know, in the meantime I'll spread the word around potential applicants.

Thank you Glen, I think we could either spoil a novice on some of your ground or frighten them to death

Well, some of us might not be sure we're eligible enough, it might be that the type of person attracted to Deer Stalking tend to be self reliant and less likely to apply for handouts, and would rather make do and mend, or go without, than rely on others. The announcement of the scheme was too late for me anyway, I'd already saved up over the last six months and booked myself on a BDS Course for June, having decided not to think about a rifle purchase until after successful completion of the course, so fingers crossed!

Also it's a new sponsorship scheme, as a disabled shooter, and possibly too proud, I'd rather read here about another disabled shooter being given a place and reporting here how they have got on rather than 'be' that person. Apart from that, I'm not very good at waxing lyrical either, I'd not be a good read. However, I will attempt to report as best I can on how I get on over the next few months preparing for the DSC1, and also during the three day course itself, can't promise it'll be riveting.

Good luck to those that have applied for this sponsorship, I'll certainly be an avid reader of any reports.
    There's always next week...

Don't worry about being disabled don't let that hold you back. Over the last few years I have become one of the disabled gang and I still get out there, of course there a few concessions to make, My legs have become a quad and the like of Glen, TJ, Wallace and a good few more now take care of the trickier bits for me. Well it's quicker and it gives them more time for taking the pi$$, bless 'em , my best friends are stalkers and they are all generous.

John

John i am not sure if your legs have gone or if you like seeiing others up there level of compitence under expert guidence lol. See you soon bring your quad my legs are starting to go also

I have a knife here free to a good home of a fellow bursor. It's not the best but if you want it let me know and i will post it if your not close enough for me to drop it off. It's a Winchester knife with guy hook and sheath. Like this one.

Winchester Large Hunter Fixed Blade Knife with Guthook | Uttings.co.uk Mobile

if a fellow bursor doesn't want it ill put it in the classifieds for any member.

With the exception of the disabled part, I pretty much echo Wireless.

I work full time as a long distance truck driver, have a family that I have to spend time with (and pay for!) in common with many others. The fact that it takes me a long time to save up the 'spare' money to buy shooting equipment (including ammunition) makes me appreciate what little I do have, and having to budget my time around work and family also makes me appreciate any shooting that I do get, be it rabbits paper, or pigeons - I have never yet managed to get onto a deer stalk Either availbilty of time or availabilty of funds seem to conspire against me, I can get one or the other individually, but never both at the same time. I feel certain that other people who work and have a family are in exactly the same predicament.
    Do I think I should apply? Yes.
    Do I think I deserve it (more than someone else)? Maybe.
    Do I think that by applying and trying to get something for nothing, people will think that I am a p155 taking scrounger? Absolutely
    Do I also think that 'false' pride is getting in the way of me applying? Definitely.
    Can I change any of the questions and answers above? Unfortunately not.

Quote Originally Posted by teabag_46 View Post
    With the exception of the disabled part, I pretty much echo Wireless.

I work full time as a long distance truck driver, have a family that I have to spend time with (and pay for!) in common with many others. The fact that it takes me a long time to save up the 'spare' money to buy shooting equipment (including ammunition) makes me appreciate what little I do have, and having to budget my time around work and family also makes me appreciate any shooting that I do get, be it rabbits paper, or pigeons - I have never yet managed to get onto a deer stalk Either availbilty of time or availabilty of funds seem to conspire against me, I can get one or the other individually, but never both at the same time. I feel certain that other people who work and have a family are in exactly the same predicament.
    Do I think I should apply? Yes.
    Do I think I deserve it (more than someone else)? Maybe.
    Do I think that by applying and trying to get something for nothing, people will think that I am a p155 taking scrounger? Absolutely
    Do I also think that 'false' pride is getting in the way of me applying? Definitely.
    Can I change any of the questions and answers above? Unfortunately not.
    Nobody on here, I like to think, would consider you a pi55 taking scrounger, they might consider you a man with pride who puts his family's needs and enjoyment before his own, isn't that terrible! This bursary idea is not meant to highlight what some people may see as some sort of failure on their part, quite the contrary in fact with someone in your position. I like to think of it as more of a reward for someone like you as you are putting others before yourself, yet you are still trying to have a go when time and circumstances permit. You have got your priorities right and are still trying as best you can, not sitting back and feeling sorry for yourself, you are trying and we along with God love a trier.

So put the silliness to one side and apply, just send me an e-mail, what harm can it do?

John

John