Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel fluting

Barrel fluting

Anyone any clever formula for working out how much weight fluting will remove from the barrel. Must be length x width x depth x whatever the weigh of steel is.

Cheers. Matt.

Three fifths of feck all...
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Three fifths of feck all...
    Sorry you must have forgotten to carry the 4, its 7/10's of feck all.
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Afraid the last two posts are trure ! Futing only makes a big impression in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by splash View Post
    Afraid the last two posts are trure ! Futing only makes a big impression in your pocket.
    Its purely for fashion. To reduce the weight of the barrel by e.g. 20% you would have to remove 20% of the steel. And if you cut flutes in a barrel you inevitably reduce the stiffness.

The sort of shallow flutes used on factory rifles don't save any useful weight (or reduce stiffness much).

Density of steel is roughly 7.8 grams per cubic centimeter.

For a given weight of barrel the plain circular barrel will be stiffer than a fluted version.

It may make a tiny difference to cooling, by increasing surface area, but this is inconsequential to most users.

And deep fluting risks warping the barrel if there are any inbuilt stresses from hammer forging, button rifling etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    Its purely for fashion. To reduce the weight of the barrel by e.g. 20% you would have to remove 20% of the steel. And if you cut flutes in a barrel you inevitably reduce the stiffness.

The sort of shallow flutes used on factory rifles don't save any useful weight (or reduce stiffness much).

Density of steel is roughly 7.8 grams per cubic centimeter.

For a given weight of barrel the plain circular barrel will be stiffer than a fluted version.

It may make a tiny difference to cooling, by increasing surface area, but this is inconsequential to most users.

And deep fluting risks warping the barrel if there are any inbuilt stresses from hammer forging, button rifling etc.
    Agree completely . . . i'm currently waiting on delivery of a new rifle and could have specified a fluted barrel, but chose not to for that very reason . . . . it is heavy profile for ultimate stiffness and hopefully accuracy . . . I could see no plus points in a fluted one whatsoever.
    Last edited by Cadex; 02-03-2013 at 20:59.

I agree with most of the points here, but I must say I really like the look of fluted barrels and fluted bolts and I intend to get them on my next rifle, I don't no what it is just different I suppose but feck the cost I'm gonna have them got to be stainless also......

Once again the fad rolls around again. Contrary to what most people seem to believe fluting barrels is not a new idea. Hammerelli offered many designs of fluting on their target Martinis at the end of the 19th and beginning the 20th century. Some of their fluting patterns were quite fancy too.

The difference from memory between the Remington VSSF (fluted option) and the standard Varmint Option (normal round barrel) was half a pound. Now IMO that half pound out beyond the fore-end of a rifle does have abaring in the rifles balance and would undoubtedly create more of an impression of the rifle being pulled downwards at the front if being held freehand. Seen as most shots will be taken from a lean of some kind it probably makes no difference in the real world.

I am also confident that a fluted barrel will shoot no less or more accurately than an identical unfluted one with the first couple of shots or so. So in real terms I would not think there is a difference where stalking is concerned.

I also happen to agree though that I like the looks of a fluted barrel as well and if it means up to 8oz or so less weight to carry then there is an advantage, albeit a small one but add that on to other lighter weight options we take along with us and it all starts to add up...
    Last edited by jamross65; 03-03-2013 at 09:10.