Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer terms?

Deer terms?

Have I got this correct? Elk and sika are called stags and hinds, and all others are bucks and does. What deer are spike(r)s as opposed to prickets? A follower is any fawn? thanks, capt david

Mature reds and sika are stags, young red/sika in their first couple of years are spikers, red/sika females are hinds,young less than two are calves, now to fallow males bucks, females does, males in the first couple of years are prickets, very young are fawns, roe male buck, female doe, young kids I think,muntjac/chinese water deer the same as roe, and yes followers are all the young calves/fawns/kids.
    Last edited by dlz90; 02-03-2013 at 00:10.

I'll throw a spanner in the works and say it depends on what part of the country you are from.

For me Red and Sika are hinds, stags and calves. With yearling stags being staggies (for some reason it really gets under my skin when people call them prickets.)

Fallow are Bucks Does and Fawns, a yearling fallow buck is a pricket, a buck in his second head is a Sorrel, his third head is a Saul, Fourth is a bare buck an fifth is a master buck. Or that's how I understand it.

Muntjac a Chinese Water Deer are does, bucks and fawns

and finally Roe are Does bucks and kids.

Another term that annoys me is Sika Wallows. Sika have pits. Not wallows.

And they all become venison!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post

Fallow are Bucks Does and Fawns, a yearling fallow buck is a pricket, a buck in his second head is a Sorrel, his third head is a Saul, Fourth is a bare buck an fifth is a master buck. Or that's how I understand it.
    I believe it's called a Sore, not a Saul (but might just be spell-checker!).

This would make it Fawn, Pricket, Sorrel, Sore, Buck (of the first head), Great Buck. But I think there are local derivations. Females are Fawn, Tegg, Doe.

Roe are Kid, Girl, Hemuse, Roebuck (of the first head), (Fair) Roebuck

Red are Calves, Knobber, Pricket/Brock, Staggard, Stag, Hart. Females are Calf, Hearse, Hind.

Isn't the Internet a wonderful thing!

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Nomenclature, according to the Devonshire hunt (1856)
    RED DEER
    Under a year: Calf
    1-3 (male): Brocket
    1-3 (female): Hearst
    3-4 (male): Spire
    3+ (female): Hind
    4-5 (male): Staggart
    5-6 (male): Stag
    6-7 (male): Warrantable Stag
    7+ (male): Hart
    Last edited by Buckaroo8; 02-03-2013 at 09:33.

Here are some of the terms some of them differ in different parts of the Country

Sika Red Fallow Roe Muntjac CWD
    Less than a year old Calf Calf Fawn Fawn / Kid Fawn Fawn
    Yearling Male Pricket Pricket / Spiker / Knobber Pricket Yearling / Spiker
    Mature Female Hind Hind / Milk Hind Doe Doe Doe Doe
    Mature Female without young Yeld Hind
    Mature Male Stag Stag Buck (Sorel / Sore / Bare Buck / Master Buck / Grand Buck) Buck Buck Buck

What's a switch? A pal of mine uses the phrase often and I'm too proud / daft to ask what it means exactly. I think it's a young red of some sort, but not sure exactly what.

Cheers

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Dovebob View Post
    What's a switch? A pal of mine uses the phrase often and I'm too proud / daft to ask what it means exactly. I think it's a young red of some sort, but not sure exactly what.

Cheers

Bob
    Generally speaking a deer which has just spikes and no tines due to damage/going back, often called a murder buck in roe.

I'llsay it again: "Two great countries seperated by a commom language." In the Us we have two native deer, and their subspecies, the white-tail and the mule deer. Elk are not considered by most hunters to be 'deer.' With our deer, we have fawns called button bucks and doe fawns. Next comes yearlings, does or fawns. We call most deer with on fork on at least one side spikes. These are usually yearlings, but can have inferior genes. I once shot a 5yr old buck with 2" spikes. I'll be hunting a 'spike' Elk this year that has had basically 'spikes,' less than three points for three years. After that we have does and bucks, with the bucks differentiated buy the number of points. East of the Rocky Mtns it's the total points, West of the Rockies it's the number on one side minus the brow tine. This reflecks the fact that most mule deer have small or no brow tines. Elk are cows, bulls and calves, and count points. A young bull with small 6-8pts is called a raghorn. Our 'exotic deer'; sika, axis, and fallow are called the same as our native deer. In texas we have some growing herds of red deer. they are generally refered to as bucks and does, some call them cows and bulls and those in the know, all six of us, call them stags and hinds. Any adult female without offspring is called barren. capt david