Which rifle sling

GWP

I have aproblem with a damaged right shoulder wich makes it nearly impossible to carry and stalk in my normall way,but carring on the left shoulder with sticks gets dificult.I am thinking of trying a neoprene sling which one is the 64dollar question:confused:

I have tried a few different slings all of which slipped off my shoulder resulting in me constantly hunching my right shoulder in an effort to keep the rifle on there... I ended up with bad neck and upper back ache as a result.

The best one I have found to solve this problem is a Z aim sling linked below. The rifle stays put whether walking, crawling, climbing into high seats etc and the extra strap can be put to use carrying your beast if you so wish.

Z-Aim Multifunctional Slings - Casstrom Outdoor

I have had mine around a year now on my .308 and it has worn well.

try sewing a large button on your shoulder on your coat it worked for me it should stop your sling slideing off my slings are approx inch wide. hope it works.

Another Z-Aim user, (since they came out) i used to swap it from rifle to rifle, now have a dedicated one on each of my rifles, cant think of using any other sling now.

George.

I've got the z-aim and the niggeloh slings and love them both much more comfortable to use than a normal sling........

Thanks for input all just hope physio can sort this soon.z-aim looks alittle complicated for woodland stalking how quick is it in use Dave

Thanks for input all just hope physio can sort this soon.z-aim looks alittle complicated for woodland stalking how quick is it in use Dave

There is a quick release buckle around the centre of your chest which you pop off. The strap around your back falls away allowing you to simply slip the rifle off your shoulder as you normally would. Obviously if you usually carry muzzle down then it will take a while to adjust to muzzle up carry. The other (very minor) thing to get used to is the loop of the back strap around the pistol grip. It is thinner cord not webbing so a quick zeroing session would see you ignoring its presence.

The only draw back I find is if I wear a waist pack which results in the back strap tangling sometimes.

I have one z-aim sling and am so taken with it that I find myself swapping it between my .17 and my .308.

If we were closer I would suggest we met up so you could try it out.

Not clear how your shoulder condition makes carry a problem beyond the obvious that is being encumbered with circa 8lbs of dead weight and localised pain relative to sling pressure point, but I can tell you what stays in position best and its contrary to the route most makers adopt and buyers look for:

A narrow sling with its minimal surface area will 'cut in' to shoulder and clothing whereas a comfy looking broad one will always be a contender for the Men's Downhill gold medal even if you install an anti-slip detail at the shoulder such as a piece of profiled antler.

I speak from experience having made one or two excessively over-engineered leather sport-target slings.

In fact the ideal sling detail as to contact shoulder would comprise three 1/2" cut pieces of veg tan leather sewn into a hollow triangle.

You'll have to take my word on that though!

Cheers

K

Been having shoulder slippage problems too. Nothing wrong with my shoulder and just yesterday picked up a nice plain leather strap backed with a rubber layer. Tried it yesterday afternoon / evening and very pleased. No slipping off.

NOT like this
DSC02234.jpg

or this:
sling.jpg

Back