Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer seasons

Deer seasons

Can somebody tell me why the seasons for deer are different in England and Scotland, is it because they breed at different times of the year? Or is there another reason for this I've done a search but can't find an answer for it......

Anybody?

Ive often wondered this myself. It seems daft to me.

nutty

For the stags all I can see is that they have a hard rut followed by a harsh winter to deal with and it is to give them some peace to survive the winter, unlike the softer southern stags who have much better grazing after the rut generally. So an earlier start so stalkers can get into them earlier.

Found this quote on the BASC website

Five deer species are protected by close seasons, related to the breeding cycle

Deer Seasons

So i would guess it has somthing todo with diffrent breeding time.

As far as I am aware the Scottish Red deer season was arranged by the Victorians, as most of the landed gentry went to Scotland for the Summer and Autumn to fish and shoot Because Queen Victoria was in residence at Balmoral.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

I'm of the view it's a combination of legislation thats in based on deer welfare which in turn is linked to different weather systems.
    Which I think is a load of B**LOCKS.....! Example (.22CF for roe in scotland not in england) !
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

I second sikadog. It dates back years when the gentry were able to get to Scotland to shoot.

Yeh I am all for making things simpler. Why can roe does be shot till the the end on March in Scotland but hinds cant. Roe kids are usually born earlier than red or sika calves. So why?

Quote Originally Posted by rem284 View Post
    Yeh I am all for making things simpler. Why can roe does be shot till the the end on March in Scotland but hinds cant. Roe kids are usually born earlier than red or sika calves. So why?
    I think that may be because roe were very often regarded as vermin until quite recently.