Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: further training after dsc2...

further training after dsc2...

i just wonderd if any of you had done any further training or learning after dsc2?
    i did my carcase handling and the lantra game meat hygeine but i did read somewhere a while back lantra were tryign to run some more courses and learning.did anyone take these up or know of any further recognised learning there is out there??
    cheers in anticipation
    scout

Someone on here started a thread around the question you pose,I haven't seen any more on it, might have a look thru later see if I can find it, that's if someone else doesn't come up with it first.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I think you're referring to the Deer Manager's Course? BDS run one and Jelen is just starting one up as well.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

What the hell do you want more training for? Once you have done a level 2 that should be all you need.

Try a dogs for deer course that is the way forward to have a reliable tracking dog.
    NGO Deer Branch | Introduction to tracking deer with dogs

Hi Lovatscout,

We are running our new season of Advanced Deer Management Courses commencing in March at our Hampshire Training Centre.

Our course, which has been over three years in development, is set to be the UK's most useful training resource for those looking to further their knowledge in wild, park and farmed deer management.

This LANTRA APPROVED course is delivered by some of the UK's foremost deer managers - working as professionals in their own right, in some of the country's most parks and sporting estates.

Click on the link below:

LANTRA APPROVED ADVANCED DEER MANAGEMENT COURSE

Or please EMAIL ME for full details on mike.allison@jelendeer.com

Best regards,

Mike

Mike Allison
    (Director - Jelen Deer Services)

Quote Originally Posted by Jelendeer View Post
    Hi Lovatscout,

We are running our new season of Advanced Deer Management Courses commencing in March at our Hampshire Training Centre.

Our course, which has been over three years in development, is set to be the UK's most useful training resource for those looking to further their knowledge in wild, park and farmed deer management.

This LANTRA APPROVED course is delivered by some of the UK's foremost deer managers - working as professionals in their own right, in some of the country's most parks and sporting estates.

Click on the link below:

LANTRA APPROVED ADVANCED DEER MANAGEMENT COURSE

Or please EMAIL ME for full details on mike.allison@jelendeer.com

Best regards,

Mike

Mike Allison
    (Director - Jelen Deer Services)
    Hi Mike,

can i ask who is doing the dogs for deer bit in your deer management course as i thought the section they did in the BDS course was very poor,

or do you to think there is no need for a deadicated deer dog in deer management,

if this is the case you should ceck out my thread in dogs for deer on this site

i could not see any info on your site

Regards Tony

Mike,

I think you mean Lantra Awards? Lantra who are a non profit government quango do not approve courses they only set standards Lantra Awards are there profit making wing and will approve any bespoke course for a fee if it meets criteria set out by the National Occupational Standards.

The BDS deer management course will have the same legal standing.

I suggest you have a look at the LANTRA Center-fire/Fox control Level 2 course - I did mine between the DCS1 and DSC2 - lots of things you learn on this course are useful for deer stalkers as well - it has also helped me getting permissions. It was almost a bridge too far for me - the first time I failed on firearms safety, marksmanship and the night lamping assessment. However was given the opportunity for a re-assessment and got through this time - just.
    Lantra Awards | Fox Control (Centre Fire Rifle): Safety, Theory and Practice - Level 2

Bizarrely there doesn't seem to be a 'Level 1' option - this course is targeted at people who work professionally in conservation and for big estates in game-keeping.

No sarcastic comments please from those who are 'against' any form of training or qualifications - any positive or constructive comments are of course welcome.

Lantra Awards not Lantra - it even says it in the title.

I have done that one as well and found it fairly useful - we had to do it on the estate for HSE.

Quote Originally Posted by hottopic View Post
    Mike,

I think you mean Lantra Awards? Lantra who are a non profit government quango do not approve courses they only set standards Lantra Awards are there profit making wing and will approve any bespoke course for a fee if it meets criteria set out by the National Occupational Standards.

The BDS deer management course will have the same legal standing.
    Yep,

My apologies, you are correct it is Lantra Awards.

Regards,

Mike.