Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Stag handled folder

DIY Stag handled folder

Thought I’d share a wee knife project I undertook recently.

I have a few Svord Peasant friction folding knives, good blades but the simple plastic handles are kinda boring and ripe for modifying

Here's an early modified on with a tough acryllic handle I made ages ago

I love stag handled designs so had a bash with some stag antler and tried to improve the “in hand” shape

The antler cutting I chose fits in my hand really well so started on my "rustic" handle.. the new shape compared to the factory handles below

Simply cut, filed and smoothed a rough shape, step drilled the holes and fitted the internal stop screws and some bolts.

Looked a bit oversized at first but just feels right in the hand, fits me perfect and I've left a good rough finish on the stag for superb grip.

Unfortunately my resources are a bit thin on the ground so had to make do with some stainless set screw and bolts, might look better with brass but easy enough to replace whenever I get round to it.

Not exactly Stu Mitchel or Alan Wood standards but good fun tinkering if nothing else, passes the time at work

Cheers

Rb

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Rigboot

That has come up really well. I've not tried a folder yet but your post gives me just the incentive to give it a go!

Did you use liners between the antler and the blade? Couldn't tell from the photos.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Rigboot

That has come up really well. I've not tried a folder yet but your post gives me just the incentive to give it a go!

Did you use liners between the antler and the blade? Couldn't tell from the photos.

willie_gunn

Thanks WG,

The thought of fitting liners didn't even cross my mind, I might just do that!
    I'm sure I have some thin brass plate in my garage which should do the job nicely and will be easy enough to fit.
    Would be interested to see your folder whenever you get round to making one too!

Cheers

Rb

Quote Originally Posted by rigboot View Post
    Thanks WG,

I'm sure I have some thin brass plate in my garage which should do the job nicely and will be easy enough to fit.
    Would be interested to see your folder whenever you get round to making one too!

Cheers

Rb
    Rb

After reading your post I ordererd one of the plain metal Svord Peasant knives from Heinnie Haynes this morning (http://www.heinnie.com/Peasant-Knife...K-/p-0-0-8252/), but pressure of work means it will be a few weeks yet before I have the time to really devote to it. I have some sambar scales that I might use, or maybe I'll cut up one of the sets of red antlers in the garage. I'll post a picture when I'm done.

Thanks again for the inspiration!

willie_gunn

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Rb

After reading your post I ordererd one of the plain metal Svord Peasant knives from Heinnie Haynes this morning (http://www.heinnie.com/Peasant-Knife...K-/p-0-0-8252/), but pressure of work means it will be a few weeks yet before I have the time to really devote to it. I have some sambar scales that I might use, or maybe I'll cut up one of the sets of red antlers in the garage. I'll post a picture when I'm done.

Thanks again for the inspiration!

willie_gunn
    That looks perfect for a bit of tinkering, should be great with the sambar scales and I'd imagine you can go straight on the metal handle and use them as liners.
    Excellent value too.
    Its a bummer when work gets in the way, I've got to replenish a few your namesake salmon patterns for an assault on the springers next, not enough hours in the day eh..

Good luck

Rb

Thought I’d share a wee knife project I undertook recently.

I have a few Svord Peasant friction folding knives, good blades but the simple plastic handles are kinda boring and ripe for modifying

Here's an early modified on with a tough acryllic handle I made ages ago

I love stag handled designs so had a bash with some stag antler and tried to improve the “in hand” shape

The antler cutting I chose fits in my hand really well so started on my "rustic" handle.. the new shape compared to the factory handles below

Simply cut, filed and smoothed a rough shape, step drilled the holes and fitted the internal stop screws and some bolts.

Looked a bit oversized at first but just feels right in the hand, fits me perfect and I've left a good rough finish on the stag for superb grip.

Unfortunately my resources are a bit thin on the ground so had to make do with some stainless set screw and bolts, might look better with brass but easy enough to replace whenever I get round to it.

Not exactly Stu Mitchel or Alan Wood standards but good fun tinkering if nothing else, passes the time at work

Cheers

Rb
    very nice RB i may just have some bits of buffalo still laying around too small for stick making if there of any use to you ,are you at home ???

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    very nice RB i may just have some bits of buffalo still laying around too small for stick making if there of any use to you ,are you at home ???
    Still away , got just under a week left WS, I've never tried working with buffalo, seen it used on a few sticks before, came up braw when it was polished though.

That looks really well!

I've always had a soft spot for the Peasant, and the idea of using whatever's around to rehandle one seems in good keeping with it's name. The blades are great so it's nice to see justice done to one with some decent materials for the handle.

I've to admit to being a bit of a knife fan, but to be honest the customs that folk are forever spending such huge sums on nowadays don't do an awful lot for me. Your Peasant with it's staggy handle on the other hand - does! That, is a bonnie wee knife....

Thanks WG,

Cheers

Rb
    Rigboot

Finally had a spare Sunday so had a go at putting together the Svard Peasant folder, in my case using some sambar antler.

I drilled out the original pins and used 6mm brass rod for the main pins and 3mm brass rod for the retaining pin. The sambar I bought from Mick Wardell (http://www.wardellscustomknives.com/) which I then cut in half and sanded down. I glued these to the original steel liners and then put it all together. A lot of sanding and polishing later it all came together.

It makes for a nice little project!

willie_gunn

Im liking both of those folders, ive just ordered some stabilised wood from the usa so may have a go at doing similar.
    All good work gents

atb
    simon