Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Days Stalking

Days Stalking

Had a great days stalking with Tam ( amanda16 ) up on the Scottish border.
    The day started badly after myself and another stalker in the same B & B found an old gentleman who had taken a tumble in his bathroom and had been laying there for several hours.
    We called 999 and made him comfortable until the paramedics arrived and then left to start the day.

Drove into the forest just off the A68 along a track which I beleive Tam said was 6 miles long and began the stalk down a steep ride to the edge of the forest with some clear fell acroos from us.
    Almost immediatelly spotted two does out of range walking accross the fell.We continued to stalk the edge of the forest and came across several more does until we got close enough for a shot.
    Had the rifle on the bipod and was able to sight in on two does about 130 yds away but they did not present themselves foe a clear shot and I eventually scared them away messing around trying to get comfortable laying on the hill.There where 2 more does further on well out of range but we did not try to stalk them but doubled back along the forest and passed the ride we came down.
    After only a few yards we saw 2 does down near a stream about 120 yds away.Had the rifle on a lovely placed tree stump cross hairs on the heart pulled the trigger and "click" forgotten to chamber a round.Quickly did so sighted in and squeezed the trigger.Heard the impact but the doe took of into the trees
    Tam went away down and into the trees with Rook and Bob his two labs and quickly reapeared dragging the doe behind him found by Rook.I am pleased to say a good humane kill.

We sat for a half hour in a small hide and watched a buck but no does appeared so we called it a morning and went of for breakfast.
    It had been a great morning with wonderful weather in fantastic terrain with a very knowledgable and friendly guide.

In the late afternoon we went out again and walked along the edge of another forest without seeing a deer.
    We waited up towards sunset and eventually a small doe appeared at the edge of the wood about 80 yds away.
    Again rifle on tree stump cross hairs on the doe squeeze the trigger and off she went.
    This time Tam away into the forest with Bob and again quickly returned with the doe.

Darkness was close so we walked back to the truck and called it a day.

So I came home with 2 beasts for the freezer a very happy but tired man.

I would highly recomend Tam to anyone who wants to stalk the borders.He can be contacted through the forum or PM me and I will give you his number.

Thanks Tam for a great day out .

I have some pictures on my phone and will post them when I figure out how to get them onto my laptop.

Sounds like a good day Dave. Glad you got amongst them.

Stu

hi your more than welcome dave it was nice to meet you.i also shot 3 this morning cheers tam

ps . you left your water proofs in my pick up .

hope the old gent was ok
    great write-up and thanks for mentioning the click (no round in chamber)
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by amanda16 View Post
    hi your more than welcome dave it was nice to meet you.i also shot 3 this morning cheers tam

usually leave something behind,last time was me sticks. u have pm

I can recommend Tam (amanda16) also,Top lad and knows his ground very well i"m going to have another morning out with him ASAP.
    Atb John

Nice write up hogey also.
    Atb John.

Quote Originally Posted by amanda16 View Post

That's the last you've seen of them mate, probably on Ebay already

Quote Originally Posted by nell View Post
    That's the last you've seen of them mate, probably on Ebay already
    thanks for the kind words john. the only reason i know my ground as well is because ive been lost so many times lol.now now nell behave your self .hope your well bud .

Quote Originally Posted by seprim View Post
    hope the old gent was ok
    great write-up and thanks for mentioning the click (no round in chamber)
    Andrew
    up date on the old guy is he was kept in over night for observation and then returned home safe and well .