Thread: Weldon Gun Rooms (Great Service) - 6.5 x 55 Blaser

Weldon Gun Rooms (Great Service) - 6.5 x 55 Blaser

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blaser 008.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	248.8 KB 
ID:	25432Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blaser 001.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	265.2 KB 
ID:	25433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blaser 002.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	266.2 KB 
ID:	25434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blaser 003.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	328.6 KB 
ID:	25435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blaser 004.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	315.9 KB 
ID:	25436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blaser 005.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	313.9 KB 
ID:	25437Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blaser 007.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	25439
    A good service deserves a good mention.

Firstly I am one of those people that rarely recommend anything, not because I am a grumpy git but because I think that there are too many people already singing the praises of others without wholly speaking the truth.

So, here it goes; recently added 6.5 x 55 to my ticket and have been saving and looking for the right rifle, with a HMR, 243 and shotguns in the cabinet I wanted to add something specifically for red and fallow.

After scouring the net and posting articles on here I finally decided on one of two rifles and a number of scopes. Like my previous purchases, I prefer to buy right the first time and generally don’t rush into a purchase until I am 100% certain.

So after about 8 weeks of looking and finally having enough to get exactly what I wanted, I opted for:

• Blaser R93
    • Zeiss 8x56 Z T*

Having made my decision, I enquired to a number of places, but having spoken with James at Weldon Gun Rooms I knew that what they had to offer and the guidance they gave was the best by a mile – my choice was made.

I paid a deposit on the Wednesday as I didn’t want it sell and couldn’t transfer the full funds for a 24hrs. Called on the Thursday to pay the balance and it arrived at my Rfd on the Friday lunchtime. James called me to let me know when it had been collected which was a nice touch and I called to him just after I picked it up. They also included a great gun slip, which wasn’t expected….

Although I wanted to get out that afternoon to zero etc, having just had a minor “gentleman’s” opp, I was still a little sore… so I went home and put it all together. As a Blaser virgin, I could quickly see the appeal, the engineering is awesome and the finish is on the mark – again just as James had explained.

Later that evening the phone buzzed with an invitation to pop out in the morning on a roe stalk with a fellow SD member…without thinking too much and having not been out for a week, it was on…I could hardly sleep with excitement.

I arrived at the farm at 6.15 and zeroed using Norma 120grns; the first two shots hit the target metal – vertically perfect but horizontally about 6 inches out (ironic considering my first 243 hit the target metal horizontally perfect but vertically out). After a few clicks and another two rounds, it hit one on top of the other just a few clicks more out. I made a small adjustment and took one shot, still slightly off, and clicked just one more over to hit the mark.

I was mega chuffed with the feel and the accuracy and keen to see how it acted on the stalk (the safety is great and I like the de-cocking element, but then I like the pro Hunter safety so not sure if it’s just me)…I met up with fellow SD member and we were off…

About an hour into the stalk, two roe popped out from the hedge-line the shot was fired and the rest is another story. But I did make a venison wellington later that afternoon…

In summary - I was a little apprehensive about buying a rifle without seeing it, especially as I hadn’t had a great experience in the past with a local RFD, but the description was spot-on…not only was it everything I had wanted but more.

I would like to extend my thanks to James at Weldon Gun Rooms for the excellent service and professionalism – highly recommended. All of the SD members that recommended my set up and offered quality advice, BBC Recipes, and ACM for the humorous outings over the last several months long may they continue haha, especially Scotland 2013 and Europe for 2014…

James at Weldon Gun Rooms: Weldon Gun Room, Gunsmiths, Outdoor Clothing, Fishing Tackle, Northumberland, UK

Attached are some images: Rifle Set Up, Target & Venison Wellington
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blaser 006.jpg  

May I please get the receipe for the venison wellington by pm? Thanks!
    Looks perfect!
    Much better than the ugly Blasers (dont worry, I have 2 of these ugly, but very accurate rifles, you took a good choice!) .....
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildboar1973 View Post
    May I please get the receipe for the venison wellington by pm? Thanks!
    Looks perfect!
    Much better than the ugly Blasers (dont worry, I have 2 of these ugly, but very accurate rifles, you took a good choice!) .....
    I would love to say its my innovation but I copied it directly from the BBC website BBC - Food - Recipes : Venison wellington