Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cracking day out with Roedinator

Cracking day out with Roedinator

My wife's birthday was on the second of March, and it was spent out with Pete (Roadinator).

I met Pete at the H4H Monmouth shoot a few years ago where he beat me to first place by just half of one percent. Despite BenC and myself putting in another couple of attempts, neither one of us could put in a score high enough to nobble him. What I didn't know back then was that Pete is a top shot on clays too. He kindly offered to coach Mrs. Buckup free of charge to help improve her already good clay shooting.

We had a great time at his local gun club where Pete passed on heaps of information and tips to further polish my wife's performance with the shotgun on clays. Just having someone who shoots at such a high standard, standing at her shoulder boosted her confidence no end. I even broke a few clays myself! We finished up shooting sport trap. Pete put in a blinding 24 ex 25 despite messing about on the last stand, seeing just how fast he could shoot the clays off the trap arm. A real joy to watch.

Now as if this wasn't generous enough, Pete had told me to put my rifle in the car too. Lorrayne was packed off to get ready for dinner, while Pete and I went to a smashing bit of ground, well populated by roe. The light was fading fast and so it was a bit of a quick yomp to where the deer were expected to be. We saw three along the way, but no safe shot presented itself. Arriving just slightly puffed at a nice ridge overlooking a sizeable grass field we spied two roe about 140 yards from us, with a further four or five way out. The buck was grazing happily but the doe was all eyes and ears in our direction. We knelt for a while just waiting for her to settle down to graze which after an eternity she did. I quickly crawled forward to a nice hump with a good clear line of sight to the doe. Unfolded the bipod and got behind the scope. As I did so the doe moved off left, and with another two or three paces would be unsafe due to a tree blocking my line of sight. Pete whistled, she paused, and was down a second later. The shot was a tad high, but she never moved from the spot.

We finished the evening off with a nice meal at a local pub/restaurant,,,,,,,,perfick!

My thanks to Pete for making Lorraynes birthday a special one, and for whistling so well at the critical moment. A rare man that can shoot steady with the rifle as well as swing a shotgun to his very high standard.

Thanks for all your effort and time, a true gent of our sport.

Mark very kind words indeed .
    I feel very flattered just had a lucky day on the clays mate /new gun syndrome
    As for the stalking i was just pleased to get one for you and i thought you took
    it very well good shot .
    can you give mike some lessons when you see him again
    really pleased your good lady enjoyed her day your a cracking couple
    and many thanks for dinner .
    regards pete

Dinner was my pleasure Pete. I just hope you don't choke on the gold watch

Nice to meet you again Mark me & Ben enjoyed breaking a few clays with yourselfs shame that Pete beat us perhaps we show him at Monmouth, a very enjoyable time thanks Pete. Steve

Sounds a great day out Mark.

Nice one Pete (might have to dust off the MK38)

ATB

Jon

Glad you both had a good day's shooting Mark, Pete is certainly good company and knows a bit about shooting if only his taste in guns would improve.
    It sounds like you a whole bunch of good un's with you (Ben and Steve etc).
    I'll look forward to my shooting lesson next time we meet up.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Nice one guys
    great weekend by the sounds
    please pass on belated Birthday wishes to the Birthday girl for me please Mark
    couple of xx for Lorraine
    having the pleasure of shooting with Mark on a few occasions
    I can say he is not a bad lad and not a bad shot either
    as for you Pete
    top Fella as always
    Catch up soon
    Rich

Nice one roedinator every time your name pops up its either for helping someone starting out or looking after people less fortunate.
    Never met you but you sound like a top fella and a credit to the sport.
    There are some cracking blokes on this site including Max and Wayne D who are equaly generous and there are lots of free stalks and offers from pro's from popping up for novice stalkers all the time.
    Only ever seen this type of genuine generosity on here no wonder the site is so popular. DF

Quote Originally Posted by Double four View Post
    Nice one roedinator every time your name pops up its either for helping someone starting out or looking after people less fortunate.
    There are some cracking blokes on this site including Max and Wayne D who are equaly generous and there are lots of free stalks and offers from pro's from popping up for novice stalkers all the time.
    Only ever seen this type of genuine generosity on here no wonder the site is so popular. DF
    +1. Sounds a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by Double four View Post
    +1 well done Pete, nice one