Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Case trim length

Case trim length

Apologies if this topichas been discussed before. I'm new to the world of reloading andI'm about to reload once fired Winchester brass in .243. The manual(Lyman 49th Ed) gives two case lengths. The drawing shows 2.045 which I assume to be the maximum length but there is also atrim to length of 2.035 ?

Does this mean thateach case should be trimmed to 2.035 or that anything in between2.035 - 2.045 is acceptable?

It might be worth mentioning that I'm reloading for hunting rounds and practice
    Any advice would begreat

yes your correct trim all to 2.035 regards pete

Quote Originally Posted by Roedinator View Post
    yes your correct trim all to 2.035 regards pete
    Thanks mate

When trimmed to 2.035 you will find the case grows a few fow when its fired,when you f/l resize it will grow again,it may take a couple of shots before they reach max length,I trim every firing to keep everything uniform,if you just neck size the case will nearly never need trimming

One point on trimming: of you find you're trimming a lot (a) could the load be a tad too hot and (b) you might be oversizing the cases. My 22-250 requires very little trimming as does the 30-06 with normal loads. I made a slight cock-up a while back by setting the 30-06 die a bit too hard down on the shellholder and oversized them. I should have noted the excessive trimming...before a spot of incipient case head separation was detected! 200 cases in the skip.
    Another top tip is to ensure that if you use an adjustable trimmer that the adjustment is well locked down as if it creeps a bit you could end up taking off too much. I use some Lee trimmers with the pilot threadlocked in place.
    BTW made sure you de-bur the inside and outside of the freshly trimmed case mouth as they're rather nasty sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkingsnake View Post
    One point on trimming: of you find you're trimming a lot (a) could the load be a tad too hot and (b) you might be oversizing the cases. My 22-250 requires very little trimming as does the 30-06 with normal loads. I made a slight cock-up a while back by setting the 30-06 die a bit too hard down on the shellholder and oversized them. I should have noted the excessive trimming...before a spot of incipient case head separation was detected! 200 cases in the skip.
    Another top tip is to ensure that if you use an adjustable trimmer that the adjustment is well locked down as if it creeps a bit you could end up taking off too much. I use some Lee trimmers with the pilot threadlocked in place.
    BTW made sure you de-bur the inside and outside of the freshly trimmed case mouth as they're rather nasty sharp.
    Whats incipient case head separation?

re deburring - how do you ensure the deburring depth is uniform? - if some are deeper than others doesn't this effectively equate to a different neck length?

Thanks,
    BD

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    Whats incipient case head separation?

re deburring - how do you ensure the deburring depth is uniform? - if some are deeper than others doesn't this effectively equate to a different neck length?

Thanks,
    BD
    A shiney ring on the head area (the true head, not the ill named bullet) of the case that indicates the case is thinning to the point of near separation. You don't deburr any more then is enough to remove the burr formed by trimming.

As to trim length: Any length that isn't too long (over max) will work. Even too short is fine. Just make them the same length.~Muir

cheers for the all tips guys. Will the trim length have any effect on accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by u32dw View Post
    on this basis:

I'm reloading for hunting rounds and practice

....little or none

I neck size .243, trim when required with Lee trimmer (it cuts AT the point where the case hits max length)
    very few cases required trimming but some did get cut by the trimmer.

if you are only loading for stalking and practice then trim to avoid over length cases rather than trimming to start with bench rest uniform case length....IMO

yes it will.as fireing 2 cases with different length necks will have an effect on how the bullet is gripped so the bullet release will be different so it can effect the bullet performance.for example you may shoot 2 shots touching the 3rd shot may be 1/2 inch out of the group,you may think you have pilled the shot but usually its your handload not all being unform.
    best to prepare you brass the best you can,consistancy from shot to shot is key to accuracy,also when testing your loads do it off a stable platform with sand bags of some sort and not off sticks as then you will be able to se the difference in your lovely prepared brass.
    theres plenty of info on the net how to do the job from producing a consistant hunting load to full house bench rest prep.
    I was in the workshop last night untill 10.30 pm trying different brass prep to reduce the standard diviation on a rifle.I halfed the readings just with carefull case work.Iam not saying you have to prep to BR standards but basic uniforming of your brass like trimmed length,primer pocket cut and de burred,will help you produce better ammo.
    if you need any help feel free to Pm me
    Last edited by see it shoot it; 04-03-2013 at 14:54.