Thread: Inverinian Estate Glen Lyon

Inverinian Estate Glen Lyon

Hi All,

Looking for some advice from those living over the border.

Am due to stay on the Inverinian estate the first week of September with 7 friends.

We hope to get as much stalking as we can but sadly we are taking girlfriends and wives and one complete townie with us which means that we'll be expected to do other things a part from stalking. Can anyone suggest other things in the area worth doing such as walks, Water Sports, places to visit and pubs worth sampling.

Also does anyone know what Glen Lyons has to offer in the way of shops, news agents, grocers and where the best place to stock up on food for the week?

We'd like to stalk on the estate most of time but are there any other estates you'd recommend contacting?

Cheers

Aaron

Shops in Glen Lyon - zero!

Nearest shops will be in Aberfeldy, nice wee town . Home of Haggarts tweeds.
    you're not too for from House of Bruar
    House of Bruar - Quality Scottish Country Clothing and Produce

Perth has far too many shops! Although Bushwear have an outlet

BushWear - Outdoor clothing shooting and stalking equipment

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    It's about 18 miles to the nearest shops in Aberfeldy. There will be lots of stalking nearby, but unless you are super fit, I would stick to Innterwick. I've been going there off and on for over 40 years and I think it's a lovely spot. Regards JCS

Thanks JCS and Bambislayer.

The news that there is a House of Bruar is music to my girlfriend's ear but not to my wallet.

What about pubs and places to have a wee dram?

[QUOTE=bambislayer;536558]Shops in Glen Lyon - zero!

Not quite true ! There's a wee tea-shop/grocery/PO at Bridge of Balgie (assuming it hasn't closed in the last 18 months) which is always worth a visit. - Lovely soup !

[QUOTE=thorneyglatt;536632]
    Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post

Not quite true ! There's a wee tea-shop/grocery/PO at Bridge of Balgie (assuming it hasn't closed in the last 18 months) which is always worth a visit. - Lovely soup !
    Should have mentioned
    Fortingall Hotel a Hidden Gem in ScotlandThe Fortingall Hotel

nice wee pub, often trad music on at night and of course a 5000 year old yew tree.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue trader View Post
    Thanks JCS and Bambislayer.

The news that there is a House of Bruar is music to my girlfriend's ear but not to my wallet.

Lawers Hotel and Fortingall Hotel will be the nearest pubs. Roughly ten miles to each one.

Ben Lawers Hotel in Perthshire

A friend was asking for recommendations locally recently -

Pitlochry Festival Theatre | Scotland

Also - Dewar's World of Whisky, Aberfeldy distillery, Scotch Whisky, Single Malt, Perth, Whisky tours, Whiskey wisky tours,scottish

Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 04-03-2013 at 08:02.

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue trader View Post

If you do end up at Bruar which you probably should, the walk up the falls at the back is a breath of fresh air and takes 20mins or so and good for dogs.

Then if you are near Pitlochry (appreciate it's a bit east but there's enough over there to occupy a day) you could go to the Moulin Inn and micro brewery, the dam fish ladder and viewing gallery and do a walk up Ben Vrackie. There's also the Edradour distillery (they say the smallest distillery in Scotland) which has good tours and serves a nice "wee sensation". On the way back to the lodge you could go via Queen's View on the north side of Loch Tummel for good views over Schiehallion (Schiehallion would also be a good relatively straightforward hill walk with potentially good views).

There are various watersports places in Aberfeldy. There's also the Crannog centre at Loch Tay but would suggest looking it up on-line first to see if it suits everyone's cup of tea.

I do like the old yew tree at Fortingall and whilst there you could stop off and see the local smithy's sculptures.