Thread: Fac application

Fac application

Hi Peoples this is a first for me posting in a forum. I am about to apply for my first Firearms certificate and I am a little in the dark as to what I need to put on there. I have had my shotgun licence for a year and am looking to get into stalking. I have permission to shoot on land where I live. Initially I would be looking at getting a .22 cf for foxing and the odd muntjac and either a .177 or a .17hmr for rabbits etc. I have shot air rifles all my life and have recently decided I would like to spend more time out in the fields and would like to get more range on my shot. I guess my main questions are what sort of things do I need to include in my application? Would the landowner need to write a letter to accompany my application or would this be a good thing to include? If so what sort of things would be good to include in the letter? I am doing my DSC1 in April would it be a good idea to mention this in an accompanying letter? Any help would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

From my experience with my application, i'd say an accompanying letter from you outlining your experience and upcoming DSC1 etc would be a great idea (helps them to tick their boxes in the office). Also, if you get on well with the land-owner then a letter from him saying what he's giving you permission for and how your a safe shot etc etc would be a great idea.
    All the best with it,
    Mike

Thanks Mike. I would eventually be putting a .308 on my licence but I think initially I would get turned down for this as it is a bit of a big jump from a .22 air rifle

Quote Originally Posted by BOOFHEAD1284 View Post
    Thanks Mike. I would eventually be putting a .308 on my licence but I think initially I would get turned down for this as it is a bit of a big jump from a .22 air rifle
    Wouldn't be so sure about not being allowed the .308, my initial grant last year had a .243 and a .308 on it. I had to justify that there was a likelihood of me stalking larger deer on land that had been passed for up to .308 in order to be allowed it but this was pretty easy (just got a letter from one of my future stalking bookings to prove it). If you want a .308 there's no harm in asking!

My jump was also from a .22 air-rifle!!

Ahhh well thank you very much this is good to know.

Also where it says what calibres moderators etc do i need to know what moderators or do i just state that the rifle will be moderated??

Quote Originally Posted by BOOFHEAD1284 View Post
    Also where it says what calibres moderators etc do i need to know what moderators or do i just state that the rifle will be moderated??
    Seems to vary depending on your local police force. Essex like you to specify moderators separately. Ie .243 sporting rifle in one box then .243 sound moderator in another box on the form.

If you are not desperate to get the application in then you might be better waiting until you have your DSC1 and you can state that in the letter.

So long as you have good reason and are not a danger to public safety they pretty much have to give you what you want. I started with rimfires and then put in for 3 CF rifles at the same time and had no problems (1 of those was a .308).

Are you a member of a shooting organisation?

I would enclose a brief, to the point, covering letter. Explain your experience with firearms and what your good reason is. If you have been shooting with someone then name them and perhaps give their phone number if they are happy for you to do so. No great need for loads of references.

No idea how Norfolk are to deal with.

[plan B is to ask for a .243 and use that for deer and foxes]

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Welcome to the site,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses