Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 223 rifle twist dilemma

223 rifle twist dilemma

Hi Guys (my first post on TSD)

I'm a little stumped on what to get in regards to a 223 and its twist rate. I do a lot of range shooting and foxing. I have just purchased a howa heavy barrel in 308 for the range but on some occasions we are restricted on calibers and cant shoot anything above 6.5mm so a 223 will be ideal also.

I'm currently in the market for a 223 both for foxing and use on the range (shooting 300-600 yards). I have looked at the Tikkas with a 1-8 twist varmint barrels but they're on the pricey side and i don't wanna be spending that type of money if i can help it? not that i am tight but we are currently in the process of saving for a deposit on a house and i have to be sensible! (If i don't the mrs will have my nackers for breakfast!)

So my question is what is out there with a tight twist rate for decent money?
    Also is a 1-8/1-9 twist really necessary for shooting long range accurately? (i'd imagine ill be sticking to 55grain's in both expanding and FMJ's)
    Unfortunately i think ill have to stick with a heavy barrel unless i end up getting two separate rifles

Thanks in advance

Dave

i am in the same boat buddy..
    also been looking at 222 but i do really fancy one of them tikka varmints with a 1-8 twist! if i end up with 223...

Quote Originally Posted by Sabian223 View Post
    Hi Guys (my first post on TSD)

I'm a little stumped on what to get in regards to a 223 and its twist rate. I do a lot of range shooting and foxing. I have just purchased a howa heavy barrel in 308 for the range but on some occasions we are restricted on calibers and cant shoot anything above 6.5mm so a 223 will be ideal also.

I'm currently in the market for a 223 both for foxing and use on the range (shooting 300-600 yards). I have looked at the Tikkas with a 1-8 twist varmint barrels but they're on the pricey side and i don't wanna be spending that type of money if i can help it? not that i am tight but we are currently in the process of saving for a deposit on a house and i have to be sensible! (If i don't the mrs will have my nackers for breakfast!)

So my question is what is out there with a tight twist rate for decent money?
    Also is a 1-8/1-9 twist really necessary for shooting long range accurately? (i'd imagine ill be sticking to 55grain's in both expanding and FMJ's)
    Unfortunately i think ill have to stick with a heavy barrel unless i end up getting two separate rifles

Thanks in advance

Dave
    Standard twist rate of 1 in 12 would fine for 50-55 gr bullets ,heavier range of bullets used for long range / match need 1 in 9 / 1 in 8 to stabilise due to their greater length , i believe - from memory - savage rifles in .223 are 1 in 9 as standard. hth
    Steve

1 in 8 good for the bigger bullets which would be best for range work anyway,should still shoot the lighter bullets ok

My T3 light 1/8 is very finicky with 55gr and only shoots one type well.
    69gr BTHP seems much better and works great on fox too. Good accuracy to over 400m.
    edi

Hi why dont you look at a CZ .223? post 2002 the 500 american has a 1:9 twist rate. I have one and am very happy with it I have also shot it with hevier target bullets with no problems out to 600M I have also shot milatry 5.56 though it.

If you want to look at twist rates and stability you could look at border-barrels.com/barrel_twist.htm
    However, I've a 1:14" Tikka in 22-250 and it's fine out to 500 yards with 55 grain bullets but isn't a patch on a 1:8" 22BR I've just sold when it get windy. The 22BR can use 80 grain bullets no trouble and wind drift is about halved.
    The 55 grain is good but it's not really much cop outside the 400 yard range.
    Ah, and be careful shooting 556 out of a 223 as the chambering (throat anyway) isn't the same and the 556 normally has a bit more freebore. Shot in a 223 they may push the pressure up a bit. If the 223's pretty worn they may be ok but it's not advised...

Thanks all for your swift replies

I have considered the CZ but i already own a couple and would like something with a synthetic stock. I really do like the t3 varmints but its just catching a decent one at the right price.I've also looked at the Remington tactical/police sps's (1-9).
    The savages do come with a tight twist but for one with a heavy barrel you are talking Tikka money which i would be inclined to go for the Tikka.

I agree with barkingsnake about the shooting of 5.56 in guns chambered for 223 after bad reports from a member of the rifle club i'm in but ill leave that for another topic!

Thanks again

Dave

i used to remy700 in 1:12, i wish i still had it, was a cracking gun and even a 150-200 yards held a tight group.
    i know people used the police with the 1:9 twist so the could use the 5.56 fmj rounds,
    atb
    simon

if you want light and fast go 20 cal if you want wind beating heavy go 1 in 8 223 simples