Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First rifle

First rifle

I am going to be buying my first rifle soon and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to a decent .22cf for foxing and the odd Muntjac or CWD that doesnt break the bank?? I know its all down to personal preference but any suggestions would be appreciated.

What sort of budget do you have? And are you looking for second hand or new?

Second hand guns are just as good as new ones if they are well looked after so for the .22 I will buy second hand and I think I am going to spend about 300-400

If you are looking for a rifle primarily for fox but with the odd deer thrown in you should consider a 243. Light and frangible bullets are awesome on foxes yet you could change to 100 grain for deer. Far more flexible than a 22cf for the job you describe

.223 I would say and something like a Howa 1500 you could pick a nice one for that amount of money I would say.....

something like this would be my choice Howa .223 1500 STAINLESS Bolt Action Second Hand for sale. Buy for 399.

I like your thinking srvet I just thought it would be a good idea to start with a .22 for now but I see where you are coming from being limited as to what you can use maybe this is something I need to consider more. Mongoose thanks for the link this is the sort of thing I am looking for at the moment as a kinda starter rifle. I need to have an idea in my head as to what I want to get before I apply for my FAC.

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    If you are looking for a rifle primarily for fox but with the odd deer thrown in you should consider a 243. Light and frangible bullets are awesome on foxes yet you could change to 100 grain for deer. Far more flexible than a 22cf for the job you describe
    +1 for the 243.

Quote Originally Posted by BOOFHEAD1284 View Post
    I like your thinking srvet I just thought it would be a good idea to start with a .22 for now but I see where you are coming from being limited as to what you can use maybe this is something I need to consider more. Mongoose thanks for the link this is the sort of thing I am looking for at the moment as a kinda starter rifle. I need to have an idea in my head as to what I want to get before I apply for my FAC.
    You shouldn't have too long a wait in Norfolk for your application always been very quick indeed my most recent variation to less than 7 days was well impressed...

7 DAYS!!!!! thats awesome!! well i shall be sending mine off friday I think I just wanna know what different calibres and moderators etc would be a good idea to put on as I wanna get a .177 or 17hmr too for rabbits etc.

Big difference between a .22 or 17HMR and a deer legal .22 CF, not that great a difference between a 22/250 and a 243. The 22 CF have been authorised for deer to try to control munties which are spreading rapidly. You would be very limited as you couldnt even shoot a roe if one presented itself. As a 243 is the minimum for most deer I dont think you would be refused providing you can show good reason ie that there are deer on ground that you legitimately shoot on. Why not apply for one and see what they say. The argument that you dont want to amass a huge collection of rifles for different tasks would probably be well recieved and the 243 is hardly going to be an unusual request.