Thread: Another question about selling meet?

Another question about selling meet?

This is one of the big differences, between the US and GB. Here what one harvests belongs to him. I know that when I come to hunt/stalk the carcass, will be sold. I also know that if it is damaged, I'm responsible, monetarily, for that part. What is considered damage? Also, if I wanted to buy part of the deer, how would i do that? If I then wanted to have a B&B prepare it, that would be OK? capt david

Quote Originally Posted by captdavid View Post
    This is one of the big differences, between the US and GB. Here what one harvests belongs to him. I know that when I come to hunt/stalk the carcass, will be sold. I also know that if it is damaged, I'm responsible, monetarily, for that part. What is considered damage? Also, if I wanted to buy part of the deer, how would i do that? If I then wanted to have a B&B prepare it, that would be OK? capt david
    Here the carcass is the property of the owner of the ground it falls on. Most outfitters charge you what they would receive from a dealer (around 2.50 per kg) once it is yours you can do what ever you like with it apart from sell the processed meat on to anyone else unless you are registered as a food business.

Damage would consist of a shot in the haunch or a gut-shot

I think in this context damaged means unsellable, so if you shoot a deer in the guts and the meat is tainted, it can't be sold into the food chain. I recently shot a fallow pricket which was far too big for me to take home by myself, especially as I travel by train. The stalker wouldn't sell me just a chunk of it, because he'd have been left with half a carcass that he couldn't sell, but did say that I could pay for the whole thing and take with me as much as I could carry. Not ideal, but better than not taking home any venison at all, whoch would have rather ruined the point of the whole exercise. In the event though, I swapped my fallow for another chap's roe doe, and roe fit perfectly into my coolbox for the journey home. As regards having a B&B prepare it, that's more complicated legally. I believe that you can sell them a full carcass in the skin, but not cuts of meat. But I'll hand over to someone in the business at this point.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by captdavid View Post
    Well, I hate to upset apple carts ... but... actually... what you "take" lawfully (in this instance "shoot") here in the UK belongs to you too. That's why you are usually required to sign a contract agreeing that the stalker/estate/holder-of-sporting-rights (or whatever) will "retain" the carcase. Very interesting word that "retain"... it tends to imply; keeping hold of something that's already their's but actually means keeping something for themselves and thus from you, by your consent (ie, thanks to your signature on the contract) Not that you'll get any choice in the matter... it'll be a case of sign the agreement or NO! you cannot shoot here... but I just thought I'd mention this as many don't seem to realise.

See Pine Marten's post for how it actually works in practice. As for your B&B "preparing" anything... that'll definitely be between you and them to discuss.. But I'd guess that most British B&B's would struggle to do anything at all for you, if presented with a dead deer. Sadly, if the B&B is willing to help at all it would be cheaper and far simpler for them, or you, to buy something at the Butcher or Game dealer's and have them prepare a meal from that... Not quite the answer you'll be looking for though, is it? ... Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    As for your B&B "preparing" anything... that'll definitely be between you and them to discuss.. But I'd guess that most British B&B's would struggle to do anything at all for you, if presented with a dead deer. Sadly, if the B&B is willing to help at all it would be cheaper and far simpler for them, or you, to buy something at the Butcher or Game dealer's and have them prepare a meal from that... Not quite the answer you'll be looking for though, is it? ... Sorry.
    Captdavid, have you ever been to a British B&B? Usually, they tend to specify that breakfast is served only between 6.42am and 7.07am, or maybe 7.16am on a Sunday... That said, I've been to some very good ones, but also some f###ing appalling places that really shouldn't be in business. Like the Hare & Hounds in Rye Foreign. Don't go there.

Quite simple if you go with me, i am a registered food dealer, you shoot a deer, pay for it, i process it and sell it to who ever i like.
    Stay here and you will be well catered for, she is a very good cook, will always put on an evening meal if requested, and her husband used to be a butcher, i have never had a complaint yet.
    Hit it in the gut, back strap or haunch and i will class it as damaged meat and charge the going rate.
    Cheers
    Richard