Thread: Steyr pro hunter accuracy issues solved

Steyr pro hunter accuracy issues solved

I have to share this to all those who are having issues with their Steyr Pro hunter and finding you can just about get your group on paper at 200m.

I lost faith in my new Steyr which i recently purchased, fitting it with a Bushnell scope and Third Eye Tactical Spartan mod. I could just about get on paper at 100m with a huge scattering of shots.

I shot the Steyr Aug when serving in Forces for of 5 years and had so much faith in this manufacturer as my former personal weapon was formidable even when covered in mud, in artic climates or African conditions. I just refused to believe my pro hunter was any different.

After going through 60 worth of 155 grain Hornady ammo and the group not getting any better I went to my Rfd and told him my case. He gave me 168 grain ammo and advised me to start my zeroing all over again..........

Now what can I say....the rifle is FORMIDABLE!

I shot the first few at 35 yds and within 4 shots could have hit a 50p piece.....moved to 100yds and again the grouping was as tight as a duck's arse.

Then I got into a bit of a messing mood and moved to 300............fired four shots, waited 5mins and fired again and the accuracy had me laughing my head off when I got up to the target.

I don't know what it is but the difference between 155 Hornady and the new Hornady 168grain ammo is like black and white. So if you are having accuracy difficulties don't despair, try a new ammo and you may be surprised with the result!
    Last edited by Ronan; 04-03-2013 at 22:52.

This happened to me on the wkend whilst zeroing a new rifle. Was using Remington accu tips (22.250), couldn't group at a 100yrds. Luckily I'd bought some Norma's just in case.......problem solved

What calibre is your Pro Hunter and have you tried 123g Sako Soft Points?
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

308 Prohunter

The Pro Hunter I have is a .308, I haven't tried the Sako rounds you speak of but the Hornady I am shooting are those "Tap" rounds and at 24 per 20 the price is pretty ok.

Not the Pro Hunter but my Steyr SSG loved 167 gn Lapua Scenars, worth noting if you intend reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    The Pro Hunter I have is a .308, I haven't tried the Sako rounds you speak of but the Hornady I am shooting are those "Tap" rounds and at 24 per 20 the price is pretty ok.
    I was told some years back when I bought soem 7mm (tx57mm) TAP rounds in a red card outer that TAP was "Tactical And Police". Those rounds were made in Brazil and a bit warm for antique Mausers IMHO.

Remember South American has a history of 7x57 military use.

The bullets were 172 grain and very sharply pointed with a long boat tail so actually had little bore riding surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    I was told some years back when I bought soem 7mm (tx57mm) TAP rounds in a red card outer that TAP was "Tactical And Police". Those rounds were made in Brazil and a bit warm for antique Mausers IMHO.

Remember South American has a history of 7x57 military use.

The bullets were 172 grain and very sharply pointed with a long boat tail so actually had little bore riding surface.
    TAP = Tactical Application Police

Brought some back from NZ with me a few years ago...good stuff

I was expecting to read that you'd bought a new rifle- well done,!!!

Quote Originally Posted by saddler View Post
    TAP = Tactical Application Police

Brought some back from NZ with me a few years ago...good stuff
    Ahhh thank you for the correction . The cases proved to be good for re-loading too.

Strange thing was that two out of the three antique M93 DWM Mauser it was tried in only one showed pressure signs and that was the Plezier or Special Sporting rifle. The OVS marked rifle and the unmarked Carbine didn't complain at all. But after consideration I pulled the bullets weighed the charges and reduced the chanrge on any that I wanted to shoot through these M93 Mausers.