Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: skin shedding

skin shedding

Hi my dachshund is shedding her skin it looks like dan druff. We've had her at the vet's and they gave us a special shampoo to wash here every few weeks. But lately is seems to be getting worse. It isn't bothering her so it's not itchy. Any advice....

I'll answers any further questions that I haven't covered

Hiya one of my cockers had something like that we put down to the dog shampoo that we used so we started using a baby shampoo and we've had no more probs (touch wood ) it didn't effect the other dog,yours might just be sensitive good luck Bazil

Could be any of quite a number of things. There is a mite called cheyletiella that can cause excess scurf that is variably itchy - sometimes known as 'walking dandruff'.

Generally poor skin condition can cause similar.

Trip back to the vets for some work up required.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I would never argue with a vet but mine both had it a while ago and I just added some fish oil to the diet and it was sorted,worth a try weeman and a lot cheaper than the man in a white coat eh?

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by re'M'ington View Post
    I would never argue with a vet but mine both had it a while ago and I just added some fish oil to the diet and it was sorted,worth a try weeman and a lot cheaper than the man in a white coat eh?

Martin
    Cheers Martin I'll give that e go for a while. She isn't itchy with it at its only when groomed. She is a short hair and fed on royal canine.

Our old Spring had the same issue and we asked about and was told to change her diet. started feeding James Wellbeloved and never had any problems after than. might be worth a try

Andy7mm

Hi my dachshund is shedding her skin it looks like dan druff. We've had her at the vet's and they gave us a special shampoo to wash here every few weeks. But lately is seems to be getting worse. It isn't bothering her so it's not itchy. Any advice....

I wouldn't touch or feed royal canin to my dogs, but that's me, there are better diets out there, ideally one that doesn’t contain grain.
    Weeman is your Dachshund porky and on a diet RC variety??? Dogs (carnivores) need fat in their diet it's good for them, especially good for the skin.....As Martin mentioned give him a good quality fish oil which is full of omega 3's and high in
    EPA & DHA....Omega3 is great for humans too :O).......The air has been really dry the last few weeks, maybe that has something to do with it?
    Prior to the vet shampoo had you bathed him? If so that could be the cause?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneBirb View Post

I wouldn't touch or feed royal canin to my dogs, but that's me, there are better diets out there, ideally one that doesn’t contain grain.
    Weeman is your Dachshund porky and on a diet RC variety??? Dogs (carnivores) need fat in their diet it's good for them, especially good for the skin.....As Martin mentioned give him a good quality fish oil which is full of omega 3's and high in
    EPA & DHA....Omega3 is great for humans too :O).......The air has been really dry the last few weeks, maybe that has something to do with it?
    Prior to the vet shampoo had you bathed him? If so that could be the cause?
    Thankyou for all the kind replies.

My bitch (cookie) is a perfect weight at 3.4kg, perfect shine to her coat etc...
    After doing much research it turns out royal canin food isn't that good etc as it the pedigree treats which she seldom has.

What we have opted for is the variety called canagan of salmon flavor etc as is good for oil etc.
    Say her health is perfect as when taken her to the vets they looked at her skin and hair sample under a scope etc and she is mite clear.

Jane we bathed her before a trip to the vets in johnsons baby oil etc twice and thought that was the problem. When we got her as she was 9 months old she was fed on weebox i think minging In know.
    This isn't irritating her at all just us lol through care etc..
    The research we done claimed that wheat and grain etc in dried dog food is certainly not the best for dogs and we reckon that this is the cause for her dandruff effect shedding.
    We spoke to a few folk and they highly recommend the canagan food. I like the sound from the james wellbeloved but was told that royal canin make that too so avoided, not there is anything wrong with it.

I also posted a while back about her bad breath maybe the food had something too do with it...??

Janebird I'm Silverdale you close to there..??

i had a terrier a few years ago that had some thing similar turned out to be too much protein in her food changed to a lower protein meal and it worked.
    But she was also scratching her self like mad with it .