Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some interesting and unusual 7mm-08 factory loads.

Some interesting and unusual 7mm-08 factory loads.

Following a few threads where people mentioned difficulty in sourcing 7mm-08 ammunition, I thought Iíd mention some interesting factory loads that exist but that I havenít seen here. However the fact that I havenít seen them here doesnít mean much, as I havenít seen much generally, and London is clearly not the best place to go looking for factory ammunition. Anyway, I had a look at my ďLe Chasseur Francais Hors-sťrie armes et munitionsĒ, which is essentially the catalogue of everything, and in addition to the Remington and Federal offerings, there are a few others that Iíd like to try out if I could.

Thereís a standard Norma 140gr one, which is hardly an exotic brand but I havenít heard it mentioned here. Thereís also a Hornady one, which I also havenít seen any trace of. More interesting though are one by Sauvestre and four by Sologne, both French manufacturers and made for the specific requirements of the domestic market, in other words driven big game including boar. The Sauvestre one uses the FIP (Fleche Interieure or Internal Arrow) bullet, which is their own proprietary design and is a hollowpoint copper bullet with an insert in the point made of another metal that ensures expansion on impact Ė http://www.sauvestre.com/?lang=en ). Itís pretty light, but also very fast. Itís specifically designed for driven hunting and a quick trawl of French forums suggests itís very effective indeed, despite itsí weight.

Sologne load rounds with well-known offerings from Sierra, Nosler etc, and some of these are pretty standard, but there a 162gr load thatís worth mentioning. They also use another all-copper proprietary bullet called the GPA (Grand Puissance díArret, or High Stopping Power) which again is designed for driven shooting Ė http://www.cartouches-sologne.fr/gpa.html.

They sound interesting but I really donít know how Iíd get hold of some. Can I buy some when Iím in France with my EFP and bring them back here to try out? Or canít I carry expanding ammunition back? Actually, Iím pretty sure you canít take ammunition on Eurostar. Not sure about the ferry, and I never go on the Ďplane.

I managed to find a link to the Sologne catalogue: http://www.cartouches-sologne.fr/upl.../catalogue.pdf

They load a round with a 175gr projectile too. This has technical data, velocities, energy and so on, as well as details of the bullets. Interestingly it also has the RRPs and it's pretty expensive stuff in France too, starting at €52/20 including VAT, so about £45.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Following a few threads where people mentioned difficulty in sourcing 7mm-08 ammunition, I thought Iíd mention some interesting factory loads that exist but that I havenít seen here. However the fact that I havenít seen them here doesnít mean much, as I havenít seen much generally, and London is clearly not the best place to go looking for factory ammunition. Anyway, I had a look at my ďLe Chasseur Francais Hors-sťrie armes et munitionsĒ, which is essentially the catalogue of everything, and in addition to the Remington and Federal offerings, there are a few others that Iíd like to try out if I could.

Thereís a standard Norma 140gr one, which is hardly an exotic brand but I havenít heard it mentioned here. Thereís also a Hornady one, which I also havenít seen any trace of. More interesting though are one by Sauvestre and four by Sologne, both French manufacturers and made for the specific requirements of the domestic market, in other words driven big game including boar. The Sauvestre one uses the FIP (Fleche Interieure or Internal Arrow) bullet, which is their own proprietary design and is a hollowpoint copper bullet with an insert in the point made of another metal that ensures expansion on impact Ė http://www.sauvestre.com/?lang=en ). Itís pretty light, but also very fast. Itís specifically designed for driven hunting and a quick trawl of French forums suggests itís very effective indeed, despite itsí weight.

Sologne load rounds with well-known offerings from Sierra, Nosler etc, and some of these are pretty standard, but there a 162gr load thatís worth mentioning. They also use another all-copper proprietary bullet called the GPA (Grand Puissance díArret, or High Stopping Power) which again is designed for driven shooting Ė http://www.cartouches-sologne.fr/gpa.html.

They sound interesting but I really donít know how Iíd get hold of some. Can I buy some when Iím in France with my EFP and bring them back here to try out? Or canít I carry expanding ammunition back? Actually, Iím pretty sure you canít take ammunition on Eurostar. Not sure about the ferry, and I never go on the Ďplane.
    Many thanks for posting this .... French ammo indeed .... a wholly new and different area of study! Impressive. A fluid-filled central canal to use hydraulic rather than mechanical force, and I'm in love with the term champignonnage for the mushroom effect. Definitely worth saving this for future use if only I can remember it.

Can't help personally with the question of returning to the UK with this stuff should you decide to buy any, but if you can get it back I'd suggest separating the rounds from the original packaging in case C&E Duty is payable. As I've learnt, your 7mm-08 fodder is expensive enough already.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Interesting stuff, isn't it? And unheard of in the English-speaking world pretty much. The catalogue also has subsonic rounds for use with moderators, presumably aimed at export since they're illegal in France and just about everywhere else. The consensus from what I read is that loading 7mm-08 with a 175gr bullet is probably mental.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Interesting stuff, isn't it? And unheard of in the English-speaking world pretty much. The catalogue also has subsonic rounds for use with moderators, presumably aimed at export since they're illegal in France and just about everywhere else. The consensus from what I read is that loading 7mm-08 with a 175gr bullet is probably mental.
    Aside from most of the Nordic countries, the UK, etc.

I have been mulling over being an agent for Sauvestre products for some time now...not yet taken the plunge though as the UK market would not be too big and the prices of the bullets by comparison to more established names would make product take-up an uphill struggle
    Pity, as they are well thought out & do the job very effectively

Their range of 12-bore hunting slugs are something else too - but again - different country, different legislation/mindset etc.

Sinistral the way I understand it duty shouldn't be a problem if they are bought in the European Union as you will have already paid the duty at the point of sale.

I've been trying to get some sauvestre bullets to try for years but the company has never responded to my emails. Then last year I started to read reports on a French website that brought their effectiveness into some doubt so I am begining to wonder if they are really as good as their website suggests. I then started to wonder if because of the penetrator they would be legal in the U.K. ???? I am even more curious now.

I just thought that champignonnage was the French for mushrooming but I never bothered to look the word up because like you say the word is so desciptive that it provides it's own meaning.

With regard to moderators in France I know that in the main they are illegal for hunting, but I have seen them advertised on French target shooting websites so assumed that it must be possible to own them on a Permis De Tir. Perhaps I have got the wrong end of the stick though?
    Last edited by 8x57; 05-03-2013 at 18:11.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Hi Pine Martin, as a fellow 7mm-08 user myself, I have followed your ammunition sourcing challenges with interest. I appreciate that reloading is not for everybody but can thoroughly recommend it, especially for this calibre. There are loads of great 7mm projectiles available and you would never need to worry about ammo supplies ever again.

It is a fantastic chambering and it looks like you have got a smart rifle.

ATB

penyard

Hello Penyard.

I daresay I'll get round to it one day when I'm clearer on what my requirements are, but just now I'm still at the experimental stage! I haven't even completed my battery yet, I'm still looking for that elusive second hand CZ 452 or 455 FS...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reloading_bench.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	25497

Isn't that portable, home-made reloading bench a thing of compact beauty?

I tip my hat to you Grandhubert, that's all you realy need.

I dare say you could even make some adjustments to the design such as enclosing the bottom by running a rail across the front thus forming a storage box or even add a carrying handle to the top of the box. Simple and brilliant your solution Sir.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.