Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loose sound mod

Loose sound mod

Will a loose sound mod affect POI significantly at 150+ yards?
    Thanks

Mo

Quote Originally Posted by mo View Post
    Will a loose sound mod affect POI significantly at 150+ yards?
    Thanks

Mo
    The short answer is it could significantly, especially if the bullet clips the baffles on the way out!

How much are we talking about?

Basically the answer could be anywhere from 'not at all' to 'catastrophic explosion'!

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Basically the answer could be anywhere from 'not at all' to 'catastrophic explosion'!
    Or even a Monmouth baton round!!!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Once found my mod loose after a very frustrating zero session. The grouping was impossible to tighten up until I noticedthe mod was a bit slack. Now a subconscious check before any live firing.

It might even work it's way off completely and go down range like a mortar - that would down a Deer but I doubt it would comly with the requirements of the Deer act regarding velocity and ft Poundage but would certainly come within the calibre size requirements
    Seriously tho, nothing should be loose when using a firearm as it definitely would affect the rifle's performance between each round and could have serious consequences.

you'll perhaps be surprised at this, but a well known gunshop in the borders once told me that every moderator should have a bit of 'wobble' and sit a bit loose...interesting as mine are absolutely spot on cut and fit, and sit well and truly tight with NO wobble.

lets just say I did for various reasons not end up getting my barrels cut by this shop/smith!!..did anyone say St. Boswells?...

Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    Once found my mod loose after a very frustrating zero session. .....
    Ditto, as I bent down to unscrew the moderator and put all the kit back in the car, I found the T8 was loose. Regards JCS

I have found a difference even if the moderator is tight but the bush is loose. Moderators seem to work loose if I have had a few rapid shots. I now check the mod after such circumstances to prevent a disaster.

An ounce of prevention...