Loose sound mod

mo

Will a loose sound mod affect POI significantly at 150+ yards?
Thanks

Mo

Basically the answer could be anywhere from 'not at all' to 'catastrophic explosion'!

Once found my mod loose after a very frustrating zero session. The grouping was impossible to tighten up until I noticedthe mod was a bit slack. Now a subconscious check before any live firing.

It might even work it's way off completely and go down range like a mortar - that would down a Deer but I doubt it would comly with the requirements of the Deer act regarding velocity and ft Poundage but would certainly come within the calibre size requirements :D
Seriously tho, nothing should be loose when using a firearm as it definitely would affect the rifle's performance between each round and could have serious consequences.

you'll perhaps be surprised at this, but a well known gunshop in the borders once told me that every moderator should have a bit of 'wobble' and sit a bit loose...interesting as mine are absolutely spot on cut and fit, and sit well and truly tight with NO wobble.

lets just say I did for various reasons not end up getting my barrels cut by this shop/smith!!..did anyone say St. Boswells?...

I have found a difference even if the moderator is tight but the bush is loose. Moderators seem to work loose if I have had a few rapid shots. I now check the mod after such circumstances to prevent a disaster.

Will a loose sound mod affect POI significantly at 150+ yards?
Thanks

Mo

Mo... I think you'll have to define "loose" for us, please.

Do you mean a wobbly-loose-on-the-threads and ready to drop off, type of "loose"?

or...

Do you mean; with an over barrel type mod (like say a T8) such that its rear bush is reamed to leave a few thou of clearance, that lets the barrel operate to its normal "tuning fork" resonance, type of "loose"?

The former is probably an open/eventual invitation to an A&E.. or undertaker, near you

The latter is considered by many to be possibly, round about, ideal... though there are different schools of thought on this.

My reflex mod worked loose once on a zeroing session - shots were all over the place until I tightened it... was lucky not to damage myself or the rifle!

I have a DM80 on my Tikka T3 .243 I've never had it work loose, infact quite the opposit I find after a zero / target session I struggle like hell to unscrew the thing, sometimes requiring wedging the butt and using two hands to twist the mod off.

I replaced my t8 (corrosion) with a t4 scout (exchange deal with jacksons) and it turned my 1/2" custom rifle (if i did my bit) into a 1/2 yard rifle! turned out that the new mod had been welded wrong during manufacture , jackson told me to use a chainsaw file and file out the bit that is touching the bullets!

hardy/wildcat mods all round now !

so yes it will affect your grouping and POI so keep it tight !

Most rifles don't have the centre of gravity on the line of the bore, mostly lower. This means that the rifle will experience a slight muzzle flip before
the bullet leaves the barrel. Moderators increase weight and reduce the flip somewhat. If a mod is loose the dampening will change a bit too and therefore it is highly possible that the shots will be off zero.
Mods that come loose mostly have a bad fit. Advantage is to go to a metric or UNEF threads instead of the UK standard of UNF threads.
edi

Always check my mod before letting a shot off, even on the .22rf. Even had a case where the mod was too tight against the dovetails for the foresight on the .22/lr ruger and it was changing the point of impact so much it could not be zeroed at all, only way my RFD realised what was happening was a slight score on the Mod..

As an aside zeroing my 308 the other day with Maxim on,1/2" so ok,took mod off and the next two rounds were 6" low! Shows what an effect the mod has on barrel harmonics,rifle was a Sako 75,the lesson is if the mod is damaged don,t carry on hunting until you have checked the zero....;)

Always check my mod before letting a shot off, even on the .22rf. Even had a case where the mod was too tight against the dovetails for the foresight on the .22/lr ruger and it was changing the point of impact so much it could not be zeroed at all, only way my RFD realised what was happening was a slight score on the Mod..

Had exactly the same problem with my Ruger 10/22 trying to zero was impossible & lucky to get a 6" group at 25 yds. Took mod off & zeroed in 5 shots

I have a DM80 on my Tikka T3 .243 I've never had it work loose, infact quite the opposit I find after a zero / target session I struggle like hell to unscrew the thing, sometimes requiring wedging the butt and using two hands to twist the mod off.

Try a dab of vaseline on the threads, there may be a tad of rust forming, sometimes happens if the mod is not removed after a damp session.

ATB WB

Back