Thread: Help, Practical Gunsmith Wanted

Help, Practical Gunsmith Wanted

Hi Guys,
    I am familiar with my local Gun shops and have done the usual Google but was wondering if anybody has had any experience of any work done by anybody close-ish to me and can make a recommendation.
    Firstly I must point out that I have the time and equipment but have recently lost my Lease and with it went the unrestricted use of the range so am rather restricted at the moment in what I can and cannot do.
    So here goes.
    I have a favourite .308 which is now more or less obsolete due to my recent affair with a Blaser ;-)
    It is a Remington VLSF with a Bell and Carleson stock of Bdl configuration, it was originally an Adl stock, painted to my design ! and has a Schmidt and Bender Zenith 3-12 x 50 'scope mounted on it.
    The barrel has been shortened and the trigger has been replaced with a Timney set at 8oz and pulls as sweet as a dream.
    I use it now and again just because I cannot bring myself to get rid of it.
    What I would like to do, is get a Practical Gunsmith to check it over and zero it with a particular load so that I can put it in my gun cabinet knowing that whenever my son or anybody else wants to use it at a later date, It will perform accurately first time.
    In other words I want it to be completely serviced and any parts repaired or replaced as neccessary all at a reasonable price too and the Smith not too far from Salisbury so that I can keep in touch face to face reasonably easily.
    Am I living in Cloud Cuckoo Land dreaming or what ???

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I am familiar with my local Gun shops and have done the usual Google but was wondering if anybody has had any experience of any work done by anybody close-ish to me and can make a recommendation.
    Firstly I must point out that I have the time and equipment but have recently lost my Lease and with it went the unrestricted use of the range so am rather restricted at the moment in what I can and cannot do.
    So here goes.
    I have a favourite .308 which is now more or less obsolete due to my recent affair with a Blaser ;-)
    It is a Remington VLSF with a Bell and Carleson stock of Bdl configuration, it was originally an Adl stock, painted to my design ! and has a Schmidt and Bender Zenith 3-12 x 50 'scope mounted on it.
    The barrel has been shortened and the trigger has been replaced with a Timney set at 8oz and pulls as sweet as a dream.
    I use it now and again just because I cannot bring myself to get rid of it.
    What I would like to do, is get a Practical Gunsmith to check it over and zero it with a particular load so that I can put it in my gun cabinet knowing that whenever my son or anybody else wants to use it at a later date, It will perform accurately first time.
    In other words I want it to be completely serviced and any parts repaired or replaced as neccessary all at a reasonable price too and the Smith not too far from Salisbury so that I can keep in touch face to face reasonably easily.
    Am I living in Cloud Cuckoo Land dreaming or what ???
    Www.thedevizesgunsmith.co.uk
    richard stork will do all that for you eddy.

Hi Pete,
    That's a new one on me, I'm surprised I haven't heard of him.
    I'll see what he has to say, thanks.