Thread: Larsen Trap Time

Larsen Trap Time

It might seem a little early but the maggies and crows around the shoot are either calling for a mate or paired up and doing a bit of nest restoration.

I was wondering if any one around the Doncaster area had any call birds yet and if so was there any chance of having one.

Best regards

Wayne
    If at first you don't succeed, reload

I need to see the adjoining keeper, will ask for two.

Cheers for that Bob, if I come up with any thing first I will give you a shout.

Will get mine out on Saturday gotta catch that first bird first always a good challenge !

God time certainly flies that time of year already, must get a couple o dozen or more (if I am very lucky) of 17 remington rounds loaded in the deadly 25 gr hornady for the hooded crow and the magpies, seen a lot of pairing up round here this last few days its the best time of year now to get on top of these very very wary and smart corvids good luck with trap or rifle.

Well I managed to catch a carrion crow a week and half ago, put it in the larsen trap (with a rabbit to eat) to see if we could get things going but charlie had a different idea. I went the following day to check it to find a fox had pulled the trap into the field and was then digging underneath it to try and get at the rabbit which it could not get to, so instead pulled the crows wing through the wire and chewed it off killing the crow.

So back to square one.

Anyway a mate of mine rang me last night to say he had a spare magpie so I went to pick that up, took it straight up to the larsen trap at the back of the farm and fingers crossed left it until tonight before checking it. To my suprise when I got there I had caught a pair of crows so bagged them up to take to other traps around the shoot and reset it ready to see what tomorrow brings.
    Last edited by wayneinthepub; 27-03-2013 at 23:54.

Quote Originally Posted by wayneinthepub View Post
    Well I managed to catch a carrion crow a week and half ago with a broken wing, put it in the larsen trap (with a rabbit to eat) to see if we could get things going but charlie had a different idea. I went the following day to check it to find a fox had pulled the trap into the field and was then digging underneath it to try and get at the rabbit which it could not get to, so instead pulled the crows wing through the wire and chewed it off killing the crow.

So back to square one.

Anyway a mate of mine rang me last night to say he had a spare magpie so I went to pick that up, took it straight up to the larsen trap at the back of the farm and fingers crossed left it until tonight before checking it. To my suprise when I got there I had caught a pair of crows so bagged them up to take to other traps around the shoot and reset it ready to see what tomorrow brings.
    If foxes are a problem try putting the Larsens up on fence posts, with a bit of cardboard as a floor for call bird to stop food falling through, this cold weather has put paid to nesting activity, and nature has reset the clock for a week or two, theres just not the insects about for nestlings to survive.
    Best way of getting that first bird is a rabbit in the trap with its eyes and paunch clearly displayed they just cannot help themselves.

ATB WB

dont use wounded birds for decoys or you may get in deep trouble , lets not risk getting the larsen trap banned chaps