Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Please... just out of interest

Opinions Please... just out of interest

So...

Having a keen interest in all things military, and all things technology, this combines the two.

Official Site – XactSystem™ Precision Guided Firearms | TrackingPoint

If you look on the homepage, there is a section called Extreme Distance Hunting. There is a you tube video... take a look, nothing dodgy I promise.

What's your opinion?

I see it as a great advance in technology, a great leap forward in a theatre of war, a great feat of human engineering.

However, as a hunting tool, doesn't it just remove all the instinctiveness, skill and time and effort that goes along with it.

I find it difficult to accept that there is any skill involved in using this equipment at all.

They come across as rifle toting hooligans without care or regard for the animals. I'm sure the majority of those shots were humane and the animals were required for cull.

AND... what happens when the batteries die...? how good a shot are they then?

The Mark 1 Eyeball and well trained marksman are still getting my vote

. thats them hunting with it ,, well not realy hunting .

I can see no point in going hunting with that at all that was like fly swatting !
    If it was taking out an insurgent then I could see its uses not that I've ever done that . Perhaps some of our more learned military members could see its pros and cons .
    cheers Norma

why not just call in an airstrike?

How about exploding collars? We can just stay at home and watch on the computer then press the button to make their heads explode?

Just watched these guys and not impressed. From what I saw the shots were a little far back and looked like the sighting system just puts the bullet in the largest area. The gut.

Hmmm not sure about it, impressive kit but not sure.

Also IMHO you can't call it 'Guided' since it is still using conventional munitions. If it was firing a projectile that could alter it's trajectory to compensate for local effects or extra operator input then it would be but since it's just a standard bullet once it's left the barrel then that's it and you have to hope your tech is working correctly.

Snag

Quote Originally Posted by Buckbones View Post
    Just watched these guys and not impressed. From what I saw the shots were a little far back and looked like the sighting system just puts the bullet in the largest area. The gut.
    thats what i thought too.

Like to see em shoot a rabbit at 980 yards, it would have to be a bl**dy big bunny!.

Hang on a minute, aren't you lot always on about big calibres, high mag scopes, and only taking the shot if you're certain it will go down - isn't this just the next step?

I'm sure the old boys with open sights said the same thing when people started putting scopes on their rifles?!