Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maximising venison profit

Last edited by david1976; 05-03-2013 at 22:33.

Perhaps go on a Butchery Course? Buckbones who posts on here runs them sometimes, or Youtube may shed some ideas for creative butchery.

Alternatively, mince it, and mix in a similar meat to bulk it out. Would suggest horse, but people test for that now, perhaps try rabbit or badger

Ask your local butcher if he would do it,maybe cost you a tenner and its done proper,bagged and oven ready

If your butchering your own and not selling it, why do you wish to know or even care. Or are you wanting to sell the venison for a profit.

I butcher my own, and I sell everything that I buy quickly I have absolutely no problem as I have lots of customers.
    I merely wondered how others who do likewise split the carcass into different cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by david1976 View Post
    I butcher my own, and I sell everything that I buy quickly I have absolutely no problem as I have lots of customers.
    I merely wondered how others who do likewise split the carcass into different cuts.
    Since you are in Scotland I take it that you have a venison dealer's license ? How onerous was it to obtain ?

Yes I do. It was fairly easy to obtain, I spoke with the local council who came around and advised exactly what I needed. They then came round to check it and gave me the license which is valid for 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by david1976 View Post

Be careful what you say on an open forum unless you are a registered venison dealer which you may be of course
    you can only sell your venison to a registered dealer unlike those south of the border who may sell to the consumer.
    Last edited by bogtrotter; 06-03-2013 at 12:48.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    those south of the border who may sell to the consumer.
    Not unless their premises are registered as a food handling business with the local authority.

Whilst Trained Hunters can sell unprocessed i.e. "in the fur" venison, as soon as you start butchering it you also have to be registered, though I don't think there is any requirement to submit records to SNH, as is required in Scotland.