Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putting Together a Pre-DSC2 Portfolio Suggestions Please!

Putting Together a Pre-DSC2 Portfolio Suggestions Please!

Having just passed DSC1 (which I thought would be a good grounding in the basics) I've applied for an FAC and am setting out on my stalking 'apprenticeship'.

I've been advised by a helpful fellow SD member to put together a 'portfolio' of my experiences to help me provide evidence to get any mentoring conditions removed when it's appropriate. I'd also like to keep a record of my shooting that I can look back on and perhaps learn from – i.e. whether certain areas are more productive at certain times/under certain conditions.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what I should include beyond the obvious dates/times/people/what happened? Does the DSC2 portfolio have a set format that might be a good start? And, if so, can someone send me an example?

Many thanks.
    Last edited by blowin; 07-03-2013 at 14:44.

Hi. I am very interested too as I intend starting my DSC2 portfolio now.

In any dealings with the police my advice is short, sweet and to the point. If possible stick to a single side of A4 paper. They have given you a FAC so they must have some trust and faith in you. They are very unlikely to want to see physical receipts or pictures of you straddling a carcase. The narrative of the DSC2 if far too wordy for this purpose.

Say what you want, set out your evidence and then remind them of what it is you want.

Dear sir

I am writing to request you amend the conditions on my firearms certificate to allow me to chose where I see fit to shoot.

I have taken my DSC1 in September last year. I have culled 20 deer with Mr Smith the deer stalker and he will testify that I am a safe and experienced shot. I am always very mindful of safe backstops and have let many deer walk away where I didn't feel 100% safe shooting them. Mr Smith's number is 01234 567891.

I enclose a copy of my DSC1 certificate.

I believe I have provided evidence that I am safe and experienced enough to decide where is, and where is not, safe to shoot and request you ammend my firearms certificate conditions accordingly.

Many Thanks

Blowin

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Many thanks. Useful advice.

Probably should have said that as well as convincing the FEO, I'm also interested in keeping a useful record and perhaps laying the foundations for DSC2. So if anyone can tell me what format that uses then it would really help.

All online

DMQ Setting the standard for wild deer management

For each stalk you do a narrative and a cull record

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by blowin View Post
    Having just passed DSC1 (which I thought would be a good grounding in the basics) I've applied for an FAC and am setting out on my stalking 'apprenticeship'....
    One thing you could do is start your stalking Game Book/cull records. I didn't do this and then about 20 years after starting stalking, spent a long time going back through diaries trying to re-assemble and decipher my early records. Also, I have never recorded what rifle I have used in my cull records as I never thought about it when I started. As stated above, keep communications with your FEO to less than one page, but maintain whatever level of detail you are comfortable with.

Good luck. JCS

Keeping a game diary is a good idea especially if you are spending time watching and stalking deer as opposed to just knocking large numbers over. You will have a record of memories you can look back on and if you record weather conditions and sightings etc it is all useful information you can draw on in the future.

You won't be able to enter it as evidence for DSC2 although it is handy to have a record of the number of deer you have shot and you will be able to summarise your experience for the relevant section of the DSC2 portfolio.

I agree with what Apache has put. There is no requirement for entering a portfolio to the police to get an open certificate but its handy to have a diary to make reference to if needed.

Blowin hello,

Pm me or call and I will explain what is wanted for evidence on the portfolio. Please do not go into game records etc etc. going back for a decade and a life history!!
    A brief description of your experience followed by the 3 ICR's accompanied by your candative narrative, backed up with AW notes is more than ample

First and foremost go out and shoot some deer before registering for DSC2.

Best regards.

Jon.

For guided Roe deer stalking,. BASC accredited trainer for DSC1 and 2. BASC accredited training centre with courses held regularly.
    www.greenleedeer.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by blowin View Post
    Having just passed DSC1 (which I thought would be a good grounding in the basics) I've applied for an FAC and am setting out on my stalking 'apprenticeship'.

I've been advised by a helpful fellow SD member to put together a 'portfolio' of my experiences to help me provide evidence to get any mentoring conditions removed when it's appropriate.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what I should include beyond the obvious dates/times/people/what happened? Does the DSC2 portfolio have a set format that might be a good start? And, if so, can someone send me an example?

Many thanks.
    Hi Blowin
    Drop me a Pm if you want to talk it over I will give you my number I am local and will try to help.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

This will be interesting Blowin in my experience it depends where in herts you live as to how much trouble you have. If its near me then it may make you pull hair out if other areas may be relatively straight forward. With their mentoring they don't usually seem to request a person and put when accompanied by a suitable person or something along those lines. Lifting it can be just a mixture of time and a letter from someone you have shot with to say you are safe etc. DSC1 will help but my local guy doesn't think its worth the paper its written on, yet when I lived the other side of the county it would have been enough to remove the condition.