Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seating Depth 6.5x55 Blaser R93

Seating Depth 6.5x55 Blaser R93

Any recommendations on seating depth and oal for Blaser please...

120gr
    trying both Varget & 4895
    Norma brass
    CCI primers

Lyman data and quickload offer different info

Loads to be tried are:

Varget-36,37,38
    4895-38,39,40

Thanks
    B

unfortunatley you are going to have work the depth out yourself as all rifles are different,start 10 off the lands and go from there

Forget the lands. Start with the bullet at the base of the neck and start there, seating out to magazine length as a maximum if you don't like the results.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Forget the lands. Start with the bullet at the base of the neck and start there, seating out to magazine length as a maximum if you don't like the results.~Muir
    please explain "why not the lands" thats usually the way to go unless theres some secret we all dont know about like neck flaring

You might not even get close to the lands, r93's often have mag restriction, start at mag length bullet seated to calibre ie 6.5 mm in, check with ink if you dont have comparator that its not jammed in, work back.. Probably find it aint fusy and works best at book max load. Start low, work up etc...
    dont take reloading advice from people who have only loaded for turnbolts, blasers behave diferently and generally perform sub moa with all loads.
    Last edited by Offroad Gary; 07-03-2013 at 07:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    You might not even get close to the lands, r93's often have mag restriction, start at mag length bullet seated to calibre ie 6.5 mm in, check with ink if you dont have comparator that its not jammed in, work back.. Probably find it aint fusy and works best at book max load. Start low, work up etc...
    dont take reloading advice from people who have only loaded for turnbolts, blasers behave diferently and generally perform sub moa with all loads.
    Thanks...good advice...good advice,

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    please explain "why not the lands" thats usually the way to go unless theres some secret we all dont know about like neck flaring
    Although not Muir I'll say this............................

In all the rifles I have hand loaded for I have YET to find one that shoots best with the bullet close to the leade/lands. In fact most shoot best with considerable bullet jump to the leade. For exaple with the Hornady .308" 130Grin Spire Point bullet loaded in the 30-30 due to the chamber being cut for the 170 grain Winchester factory rounds it's not possible the get near the leade yet the rifle will place three bullets touching more often than not when shot from a rested position.. (i.e prone off a bag filled with sand).

Honrady make, or at least used to offer, three different bullets in 7mm of 139 grain weight. The best grouping of these in my BSA CF2 which I bought new I might add was the 139 Flat point. Sadly this bullet will not feed from one side of the magazine as the flat tip catches on the chamber mouth. So I tried the 139 Grn flat based bullet and found a laod which shot well. However just before a trip tot eh US back in 2003 I found that I could not get any of these bullets but only the 139 BTSP which when loaded to the same COL grouped quite horribly.

I had to seat the bullet with the canulure ring only just out of the case mouth to get the bullets to group under 1". Bit of seating depth tweaking got them to group to around 5/8- 3/4" a week before departure. Bullet jump in the region of 1/16" tot he leade. Seated close to the leade grouping was in excess of 2".

Similar thing about jump happened with some Remington 100 grain bullets in the 270 Winchester. A longer jump tot eh leade proved better in grouping than a shorter one. In my 6.5x55 with both the Speer 120 grain bullet and Nosler's 100 grain ballitic Tip due to it being a sporterised Swedish Mauser and so chambered and throated for the 156/160 grain Round Nosed bullet it was not possible to have the bullets close to the leade yet achieving grouping on the range at under 3/42 was quite easlily achieved.

I start load development now with the bullets base, where possible, level with the juncture of shoulder and neck and work out from there. Of course in some cartridges with daft short necks like the 300 Win Mag and the .243 Win this is not always possible and the bullets base has to be below this point.

I wonder where this :-

why not the lands" thats usually the way to go
    came from? I wonder if it was the same place that only free floated barrels can shoot well came from. I don't believe that codswallop either.

I was joking about advice from turnbolters, some of them know a thing or two, you just have to work out who the good ones are!

What Gary fails to remember is that Blaser are not the only straight pulls.

Having loaded in the past for a Mannlicher M95 and an Obendorf Mauser M96 Slide Bolt I found no issues at all. Both of course are straight pull in operation .

Having at the time two rifles in 6.5x55 one being the Mauser Slide Bolt the other a Gustav manufactured Swedish Mauser on the 95 action (1895 that is) the only difference was that the slide Bolt preferred the Speer 140 grn bullet rather than the Speer 120 grain that the Swede shot well.

Special loading practices must be required to work around the obvious issues with the Blaser is all I can think .

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Although not Muir I'll say this............................

In all the rifles I have hand loaded for I have YET to find one that shoots best with the bullet close to the leade/lands. In fact most shoot best with considerable bullet jump to the leade. For exaple with the Hornady .308" 130Grin Spire Point bullet loaded in the 30-30 due to the chamber being cut for the 170 grain Winchester factory rounds it's not possible the get near the leade yet the rifle will place three bullets touching more often than not when shot from a rested position.. (i.e prone off a bag filled with sand).

Honrady make, or at least used to offer, three different bullets in 7mm of 139 grain weight. The best grouping of these in my BSA CF2 which I bought new I might add was the 139 Flat point. Sadly this bullet will not feed from one side of the magazine as the flat tip catches on the chamber mouth. So I tried the 139 Grn flat based bullet and found a laod which shot well. However just before a trip tot eh US back in 2003 I found that I could not get any of these bullets but only the 139 BTSP which when loaded to the same COL grouped quite horribly.

I had to seat the bullet with the canulure ring only just out of the case mouth to get the bullets to group under 1". Bit of seating depth tweaking got them to group to around 5/8- 3/4" a week before departure. Bullet jump in the region of 1/16" tot he leade. Seated close to the leade grouping was in excess of 2".

Similar thing about jump happened with some Remington 100 grain bullets in the 270 Winchester. A longer jump tot eh leade proved better in grouping than a shorter one. In my 6.5x55 with both the Speer 120 grain bullet and Nosler's 100 grain ballitic Tip due to it being a sporterised Swedish Mauser and so chambered and throated for the 156/160 grain Round Nosed bullet it was not possible to have the bullets close to the leade yet achieving grouping on the range at under 3/42 was quite easlily achieved.

I start load development now with the bullets base, where possible, level with the juncture of shoulder and neck and work out from there. Of course in some cartridges with daft short necks like the 300 Win Mag and the .243 Win this is not always possible and the bullets base has to be below this point.

I wonder where this :-

came from? I wonder if it was the same place that only free floated barrels can shoot well came from. I don't believe that codswallop either.
    thanks for that but the OP did ask
    Any recommendations on seating depth and oal for Blaser please...

to find the OAL you must first find the lands.