Thread: Just wondering

Just wondering

Are there any 280AI users amoungst us or does anybody know about the calibre?? Ive been looking at kimber rifles and they offer the chambering. I know its a 30-06 necked down to accept 6.5mm. Im a fan of the 25-06 and was wondering what it was like as a stalking calibre.

Nutty

I could be wrong mate but I believe the .280 uses a 7mm (.284) bullet

Quote Originally Posted by .Skinner. View Post
    I could be wrong mate but I believe the .280 uses a 7mm (.284) bullet
    Correct. 7mm (.284) chambering. Nosler like it alot and have made rifles in this chambering, too. Looks quite smokey with 140gr bullet doing 3,200+ fps which is giving a 7mm Rem Mag a run for its money with less powder. Interesting option and one I have looked at with interst previously. You thinking of getting one? Would be good for everything we have here in UK

Quote Originally Posted by Penyard View Post
    Correct. 7mm (.284) chambering. Nosler like it alot and have made rifles in this chambering, too. Looks quite smokey with 140gr bullet doing 3,200+ fps which is giving a 7mm Rem Mag a run for its money with less powder. Interesting option and one I have looked at with interst previously. You thinking of getting one? Would be good for everything we have here in UK

Cheers. Ive got a Kimber on my wish list. And I noticed as I said they do the calibre and it does interest me. But it wont be for a while yet..

Nutty

Nutty I nearly had my old Howa rebarreled in 280AI, I even broughta 7mm barrel to do it, (then gave the barrel to James). The only reason I didnít go 280 was I was concerned about getting hold of Ammo abroad, so I stuck with the old 270.

The 270 will do pretty much everything the 280 will for the UK, the 280 scores with being able to use 175gn bullets for Boar/plains game and with slippy 162gn bullets for extended longrange shooting. (not UK deer stalking ranges ).

ATB

Tahr

SD Regular
    Brithunter, I think, was having one made.

I have a "bog standard" Belgian made in early 1960s 280 Remington on a ex-Nazi Mauser 98K action with 24" barrel. I think, possibly, one of a lot that the Belgian trade was making for sale in the USA via the big USA importers. Except this didn't make it across "the pond".

Personally I don't think that 280AI offers any real advantage over the "bog standard" 280 Remington AND be aware that the Kimber 280AI may not be the exact same as the 280AI offered by Nosler.

Another reason to stick to standard SAAMI configurations.

I see it very much as a 270 Winchester PLUS or a 7mm Remington Magnum LITE. In that it will do all that the 270 WCF will do and yet use 150 and 165 grain bullets and in real worl performance and a 24" barrel be pretty much as effective as 7mm RM but with the advantage of one extra magazine capacity and no belt.

It is the real world equivalent of what it is, that is to say a 30-06 firing .284" diameter bullets, at just under standard 30-06 velocities and a USA version, not equivalent, of the 7x64. Which means it is a pretty damn good all around cartridge where 30-06 isn't legal.

Is it as good or as versatile as 30-06?

If I could use either and both were equally lawful worldwide I choose 30-06 over 280 Remington if I wanted bullets over 165 grains weight. But up to that weight I'd choose the 280 Remington.

The bottom line?

Up to 165 grain the 280 is better than the 30-06.

180 grains and above the 30-06 is better than the 280.

175 grains? Hmm! I'd probably elect for 30-06 and a 180 grain bullet in preference to the 280 and its 175 grain bullet.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 07-03-2013 at 20:49.

Ahhh well yes I did re-chamber a 7x64 barrel to .280AI. I did the chambering and barrel fitting as quotes for doing so were just plain stupid. One quote was £900 to re-chamber and fit my new BSA CF2 barrel in 7x64 and that included buying the reamer that the "smith" specified and he then got to keep MY reamer. Sheesh some don't want much do they.

I fitted the barrel to a BSA 1st pattern Monarch that was originally in 270 Win and on which the barrel was quite worn.

I bought the reamer from PTG through Midway. the gauges (.280 Rem Go & No-Go) from Forster direct. sadly I was only just starting to work up loads when the troubles hit so it has only had a dozen rounds down the bore and it has not gotten the new stock that was intended.

Whilst doing this I learnt that although BSA used the same threads the barrel tenons were different so this had to be machined to match the earlier receiver/action. One all fitted up and three cases fire formed it was off to another RFD for submitting to proof and then blacking. Problems encountered were a vehicle breakdown meaning it got tot eh proof house later than planned in the year and then it was there during the Christmas shut down. The post office managed to lose one of the gauges from the package, then did nicely tape up the split package but did not admit to doing so. So there was a delay whilst a replacement was supplied and of course it was the gauge required that went awol. I also had the receiver and barrel blacked separately so that the threads are blacked rather than black assembled where salts can be trapped in the joint and then grow out at a later date.

The reason I built this .280 AI is because I wanted a modern version or similar cartridge to the famed .280 Ross. As I could not find and affordable excellent condition Ross .280 the .280 AI is about the nearest and easiest to do as I had this worn 270 Win chambered on hand and the .280 AI uses the now standard 7mm bullet diameter of 0.284" rather than the Ross's 0.287" bullet diameter..

Also as I had Five rifles chambered for the 270 Winchester cartridge the licensing officer was giving hassle over it.

Since Nosler began their "Custom" rifle line in which the 280 AI is offered SAMMI have legitimatised the .280 AI and that's where the problems lie. As per usual instead of adopting the established original cartridge SAMMI messed it about altered the shoulder and a few things hence it may or may not chamber in an Ackley dimensioned chamber. If it's not safe to fireform .280 rem ammunition in the SAMMI chamber .................................................. .... I have no idea. Ackley's chamber was designed specifically to allow for this.

Hence instead of being safer with SAMMI sticking their oar in we now have a mine field. Bet they are real pleased with themselves over this .

Lee did a limited run of dies to the original Ackley specs and I managed to get a set through the bay USA site.