Thread: Bring a friend to Bisley????

Bring a friend to Bisley????

Can I, and of course legally, bring a friend to Bisley to try rifle shooting if the friend has no connection to a shooting club yet or other organisation? He is very interested in rifle shooting. And he is moderately interested in stalking. It seems so damn difficult to introduce someone new to shooting in the UK. Comments please.

I believe you can only do this on one of the NRA's open days, but maybe your own club's open days too if they have them.

+1

And your friend will have to register beforehand.

as said, you will need to register with a club that you are a full member with at least a week in advance (maybe longer depending on when the club inform the Police as to who is shooting at that meeting) my club requires that you have known the person at least 2 years (may be a home office requirement) and the guest can normally only attend twice before applying for probationary membership. we have almost all our range days as guest days (we are allowed 12 per year I believe) as it really is one of the few ways to get new blood into the sport.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

BASC SE Region organises several Range Days at Bisley each year. If you are a full member of the BASC Rifle Club (which is Home Office approved) then confirm with the SE Region office if any of the range days are registered as “Guest Days”. If they are then you, as a full member, can take a guest personally known to you and they can lawfully shoot either using your rifle, or BASC Club rifles if available, under supervision. If you are supervising the “guest “ shooting, you would need to have taken an assessment to be granted a Range Competency certificate which is now required when shooting at Bisley, otherwise your “guest” would have to be supervised on a 121 basis by the Chief RCO/other RCO/ Range Safety Supervisor/ or other full member who hold such accreditation. It should be noted that the exemption to use expanding ammunition under these circumstances is not permitted; therefore you should ensure that only FMJ ammunition for the calibre you are intending to use is available. The above is what is permissible by the current firearms legislation, however BASC may apply their own terms and conditions i.e. Open to BASC members only.

Thanks all for the detailed advice. I thought it would be difficult! But I will talk to BASC about it, and take it from there. The general way access to shooting is set up is just so discouraging to the uninitiated and there is much room for improvement.

I first went to Bisley many years ago to shoot full-bore target rifles as part of my university rifle club. I just turned up, but I suppose I was a member of a club. We all had massive hangovers and the club rifles were the worst pieces of junk that a very small amount of money could buy. There was a .308 with a stock so long that I had to lie down at a 60 degree angle to it, a the traditional beginner's joke of a Lee Enfield .303 which felt like being hit in the clavicle with a cricket bat every time I fired it, to the point that I was using a pullover as a pad by the end, and really didn't want to complete my ten shots. I did though, obviously. The thing is that you could hit the target just fine with them nevertheless. I suppose someone must have done some paperwork, but I don't think it went very much further than booking a range. If it had been more complex than that, I don't think they would have managed it...

Quote Originally Posted by western woodsman View Post
    Thanks all for the detailed advice. I thought it would be difficult! But I will talk to BASC about it, and take it from there. The general way access to shooting is set up is just so discouraging to the uninitiated and there is much room for improvement.
    Look up BBS NRPC membership is very reasonable and a friendly bunch
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I first went to Bisley many years ago to shoot full-bore target rifles as part of my university rifle club. I just turned up, but I suppose I was a member of a club. We all had massive hangovers and the club rifles were the worst pieces of junk that a very small amount of money could buy. There was a .308 with a stock so long that I had to lie down at a 60 degree angle to it, a the traditional beginner's joke of a Lee Enfield .303 which felt like being hit in the clavicle with a cricket bat every time I fired it, to the point that I was using a pullover as a pad by the end, and really didn't want to complete my ten shots.
    Not Nottingham university by chance?? I remember the hangovers and the lee enfield only too well!!