Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: popped my reloading cherry!!

popped my reloading cherry!!

I finally got round to getting some cases filled and tried them out last night.

I was very surprised at how good they were for my first ever effort , with a group under 3/4" @100m.

thank you to anyone who replied to any of my questions and all your discussions which I read.

I have to say it gave me a massive buzz shooting my own ammunition and an even bigger buzz to see these results , how far do I go now ? Do I strive for perfection and those clover leaf groups or just use them as they are ?

Quote Originally Posted by charlie-hunter View Post
    I finally got round to getting some cases filled and tried them out last night.

I was very surprised at how good they were for my first ever effort , with a group under 3/4" @100m.

thank you to anyone who replied to any of my questions and all your discussions which I read.

I have to say it gave me a massive buzz shooting my own ammunition and an even bigger buzz to see these results , how far do I go now ? Do I strive for perfection and those clover leaf groups or just use them as they are ?
    well done,its very satifying seeing what you have made.with reagrds how far you go is down to what level of accuracu your happy with,best thing to do is try your loads again to make sure they repeat then try them out at distance.

It's a great hobby in itself. Enjoy.

cheers lads, would like to see how accurate I can eventually get at greater distances.

Started with .243 75gr v.max 42gr H414.

how many rounds would you load of each increase increment of powder ?

5 rounds per increment 3 shots dont tell you any thing when working up a load but 5 will
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Quote Originally Posted by 1967spud View Post
    5 rounds per increment 3 shots dont tell you any thing when working up a load but 5 will
    +1

Also, if your serious about accuracy at longer ranges, I suggest you try and record everything. Make a note of the load on the grouping target, record all relevant details inluding seating depth etc, also record wind/temp and if any indication of pressure problems, neck or fl sized.

3/4 inch is an excellent start, every 10th inch from here on in gets harder, details count, good case prep, weigh charges carefully, shoot from a good solid platform, measure groups carefully, get your range measurement correct.

Or - You could just pin a bit of paper on a tree at somewhere between 80-120 yds, wack three shots at it, inspect the "group". Hmm! Not bad if you discount the flyer, then join the "my rifle shoots .25moa all day long club.

Just depends how far you want to take it really - the load you have now looks to work well, you could well decide thats good enough and never try anything else. A 3/4 inch group should give you the potential (in theory) to plonk all your shots into about 8 inches at 1000yds. (if only it was that easy)

cheers lads, would like to see how accurate I can eventually get at greater distances.

Started with .243 75gr v.max 42gr H414.

how many rounds would you load of each increase increment of powder ?
    Well done,assuming you dont already,might I suggest the purchase of a Lee factory crimp die,it has worked a treat on my .243, and has shrunk an already accurate load,down even further my testing has now shown,I shal now be taking Muirs advice and flaring the case neck before seating the bullet,sounds like you are off to a flying start mate.

My redding dies info says not to crimp if there is no cannelure on the bullet , is the lee die different? Or can I crimp just a bit to make sure they are all have the same resistance.

Will have to invest in some case trimming and prep gear

My redding dies info says not to crimp if there is no cannelure on the bullet , is the lee die different? Or can I crimp just a bit to make sure they are all have the same resistance.

Will have to invest in some case trimming and prep gear
    Yes you can with lee factory crimp die,no cannelure needed.