Thread: Introduced species, hehe?

Wink Introduced species, hehe?

It seems that only roe and red deer are considered native. If the fallow came with the Normans, does that make anyone of Norman decent, non-native also? Hehe. It reminds me of the two Native Americans were talking, after Columbus sailed away. One said to the other "Did you notice anything ominus, when he said he'd be back?" capt david

Lol.... as far as I know, fallow were present in Britain before the ice age, as fossil records show that they were indeed once 'native' and widespread. But were brought back during norman times.

Well before the Normans there were the Danes, and before that the Angles and Saxons and the Vikings from Norway, and before that was the Romans, and before that the Celts and ........ Into history. Oh and the Normans had been of Viking ancestry and had only been in Normandy for a couple of generations before coming across the Channel. And William the conqueror was a cousin of King Harold (who got the arrow in his eye).

So yes we are all non native!!!!

I'd say we're all native, just go back to before continental drift, there's no such thing then as native and non-native, one big landmass

and yes, the danes are still here

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by captdavid View Post
    It seems that only roe and red deer are considered native. If the fallow came with the Normans, does that make anyone of Norman decent, non-native also? Hehe. It reminds me of the two Native Americans were talking, after Columbus sailed away. One said to the other "Did you notice anything ominus, when he said he'd be back?" capt david
    Roe? and Red....

Hate to burst your bubble but the English and Lowland Scottish Roe deer were rendered extinct a couple of hundred years ago... there was a subsequent restock with a mix of European and Highland Scottish replacements and the European ones were reckoned to be the ones with the best conformation and heads, so probably predominated the restock in subsequent generations.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/Roedeer

Hi all, Just off at a bit of a tangent, but why do the forestry commision, the BBC and the general puplic have the idea that deer have no natural preditors in this country. We are natural preditors. Why did roe die out in england a couple of centuries ago? PEOPLE KILLED THEM.